• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Overclocking Event at Taipei [Welcome the OCF L337s!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Folks,

OCF is on the world map (yet again), thanks to our Benching bad-boys. This time Team OCF walked away with the 3rd place finish from a worldwide field. Making us proud (once again) are Deanzo, El-Maxi, Ross and rdrash flew in to cheer, support and provide tech assistance to the team.

http://gooc2008.gigabyte.com.tw

Here is a chance for you to quiz the champs on their setup, hardware, experiences and anything else you wish to ask them!

Great job guys!

Last edited:
Subscribing so I don't miss any questions ;)

Myself, El<(')>Maxi (Team USA 1) and Deanzo (Team Australia, along with dinos22).

registration.jpg

big_check.jpg

Deanzo making a post to OCF from the Tavern in Taipei :beer:

deanzo_tavern.jpg

Subscribing so I don't miss any questions ;)
You seem to have a momentum of a runaway train. Why do people like you so much? :)

Just kidding, was there any talk about how many Gigabyte Nehalem boards will be out initially next month?

LOL, I'm a nice guy (I think) :beer: No numbers or official release date were mentioned, but I don't think there will be any shortage of boards when it happens ;)

Website works fine, it is just slow to load (lots of flash). :)

Question for Deanzo our favorite Kiwi:
-------------------------------------
So, how did it feel to compete under the name of your arch enemy i.e the Aussies? {Don't worry, you won't hear the end of it} Are you now an honorary Aussie? :D

So, how did it feel to compete under the name of your arch enemy i.e the Aussies? {Don't worry, you won't hear the end of it} Are you now an honorary Aussie? :D

may be its just not working for me then lol
everything comes up, but where you would expect to see text, its just blank!

what were the results then?

In the Battle portion, Sweden took 1st. Mark & I tied with Russia for 2nd, but we had a lower score for the tie-breaker (3D06) by 98 points (out of ~28000 :(), so we got bumped to 3rd. In the Freestyle portion, Fugger and Vapor from XS won the whole shebang :thup:

So both US teams ended up winning something. Not bad considering this was the first year they did anything with US contestants :thup:

In the Battle portion, Sweden took 1st. Mark & I tied with Russia for 2nd, but we had a lower score for the tie-breaker (3D06) by 98 points (out of ~28000 :(), so we got bumped to 3rd. In the Freestyle portion, Fugger and Vapor from XS won the whole shebang :thup:

So both US teams ended up winning something. Not bad considering this was the first year they did anything with US contestants :thup:

cool! close then!
can you explain what you had to do (for the stupid people like me) lol

LOL, Don't worry, my father will never let me live it down :beer:

He moved over there about six years ago, and I'm forever giving him a hard time about it. And as soon as he saw the web site and the Aussie flag next to my name, I haven't been able to live it down.

Haha, I don't know about being an "honorary Aussie" but I can tell you the guys from Team AU and AtomicPC have shown me alot of friendship, so it has been my honour to bench with/for them.
Just wish I could have done better on the day, maybe next time :)

cool! close then!
can you explain what you had to do (for the stupid people like me) lol
Battle for the Best P45 OC (first part), we had 4 benches with strict time limits and basically, submit the highest score you can in that time. All contestants had identical hardware and software, so it came down to mods, tweaks, skills and a little luck. It was similar to the format we had at the regional qualifier. It may not sound difficult, but benching on a time limit is pretty stressful LOL. If you run into any problems or push things too hard, you could easily spend the whole time troubleshooting or rebooting and never get a score in (like happened to us for the first bench - Everest).

Anyone can do well when you have all day at home to work on the best score for a single bench, but doing it in 10-20 minutes is another story. That's why the scores are generally not Earth-shattering during these.

The second part of the event was Freestyle and this is where they gave us the opportunity to set world records. It was the entire concept: you get 1 point for every WR you break, whoever has the most points after 2 hours, wins. In this case, Team USA 2 - Fugger and Vapor from XS. Vietnam (IIRC) gave them a real run for their money though and lost by only 1 point.

Everyone had to use their own hardware (CPU, mem, vid card(s), mobo), but the mobo and cards and to be Gigabyte/ATI and we could run any benches we wanted that are on hwbot. Since the HD4850s never made it on our list (and would've been relatively easy to get at least 4 WRs for them), Mark and I used 4870s and went for 3D01 record (which Mark was the holder for LOL) and would go from there. When all was said and done, we broke that record a couple of times and never got a single screen shot of it :beer: For screen validations to be counted, you needed to open up all kinds of apps to show mem, GPU, CPU, mobo, etc. and by the time the 2nd CPU-Z was opened (last one), it would crash...just like benching at home :beer:

BTW, we (everyone) used 1600-1750L of LN2 during the event. They had 12 of these 160L tanks on hand and by the end of the day 10-11 were empty :eek:

ln2.jpg

Yeah, it was a blast. Taipei is great and Gigabyte had all kinds of extracurricular stuff planned...tours, visit to the Gigabyte factory, museums, etc. Our (USA) reps are the best too :thup: As soon as Forum Wars let up, I'll try to get some time to fix up the pics of everything and get them posted ;)

Hey everyone, I just finished my report.

Now if you have a short attention span or a slow connection, you may not like it. But if were looking for an in-depth look at the event and an "as if you were there" experience, I don't think you will find much better.

Enjoy! :santa:

Hardware Canucks - GO OC 2008 Report

By the way, our pictures can be zoomed in twice, so don't forget to do that (at the bottom right corners).

Last edited:
Great article Patrick! Kind of nice to have a little play-by-play and back stories instead of just results posted :thup:

Back