• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimonSays

Hi, im currently thinking of building myself a new comp (doing my research right now) and im wondering which PSU I should get.

my system would be something like this :
Amd Athlon 1800 XP +
SoyoDragon+
Geforce 3 Ti 500
512 MB PC2100 DDR
Maxtor 40.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS
52x cd-rom
DVD ROM
Floppy Drive
Maybe a CD-RW
SoundCard
Case with 3 Fans, only doing 31. 31. and 38 Cfm though.
Some CPU heatsink w/fan
Network Card
Note: I will most likely not get more hd's.

So, I was wondering whether a Enermax 365P-Ve would be enough or should I go with a Enermax 465P-Ve or is that just overkill. Note: I only get a complete new system every 2-3 years so I would like to have some space to upgrade.. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Why Enermax? They aren't all that great a PSU...extremely overpriced and lacking in the 5V rail dept. if you ask me.

If you have the cash, get a 350W PC Power and Cooling. If not, I would suggest a 400W Antec or 400W Sparkle. All 3 put Enermax to shame, in my opinion.

Well heres my dilema. The case im buying is a modified case, but it MUST come with a PSU, since the original case had one. And guess what? Its a p.o.s deer PSU. But you can choose from other PSU's. Heres what they have:

Enermax lineup (365, 465 etc)
Sparkle 300W
Poweman 300W
Deer 300/350
Powermin 450

I would have taken a Sparkle, but they only have a 300W. In no way am I taking a deer. Powermin? Never heard of them. So, it comes down to Enermax.

So... All I can get is an Enermax... For my system, what do you believe would be needed a 365P-Ve or a 465P-Ve? I rather go with a 365...because, well the money I save I can spend it on other stuff.. Like you said overpriced.

Thanks for the help.

Since upgradability was listed then I'd go for the 465W.

Hard to choose really. If those were my choices I'd be going elsewhere.

I'd take 450watt as well for future uses.

I'd either go w/ Enermax. Jon mentioned the 5v rail bug but thats not on all PSU's and I believe the later products made have been fixed.

I just recently got the 465 model. Its actually 431watts. My 5v rail seems quite stable if you ask me, all the things in my sig + a couple of case fans and the 5v dips, at worse, 4.91v but usually stays around 4.96v under load and goes up to 4.99v at idle. I'd go for the 465 model, just be sure to get the "fan monitor" one and not the "fan control" cause when the temperatures go down, so do the fan's rpm, hence move less air. You cant go wrong with the Enermax.

SimonSays said:

Note: I will most likely not get more hd's.

So, I was wondering whether a Enermax 365P-Ve would be enough or should I go with a Enermax 465P-Ve or is that just overkill. Note: I only get a complete new system every 2-3 years so I would like to have some space to upgrade.. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from the CPU, harddisks is what consumes most power in a system. A good 300w will do just fine.

regards,
Henry.

Back