• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about +5v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby_Mac

I was wondering if my +5v was limiting my overclocking at all?
It says it is at 4.70v and sometimes it drops below that but only for a slit second but it seems to stay at 4.7v
I am using an antec sx1030b.
My cpu is a t-bird 1.4 running at 1668mhz 12x139
would a power supply upgrade help me any, and if so what is recommended?
Enermax 550w?
Antec 400w?
thanx

Could be. I happen to believe that's what is holding back my 8KHA+ system as my 5V gets as low as 4.68V.

I wouldn't gamble on an Enermax...that's my opinion. I think they're highly overrated and cost too much. Antec, in my opinion again, is much better once getting in over 400W. I have a 350W Antec that honestly didn't do better than the 300W I had before it.

I've seen great successes out of the Sparkle 400W though. It also sports adjustable potentiometers within the case incase you need to adjust for a higher 5V output. They cost along the same lines as Antec and Enermax as well.

If you have alot of money to sped, you could go with a PC Power&Cooling, which quite probably, the best on the market.

Jon said:
Could be. I happen to believe that's what is holding back my 8KHA+ system as my 5V gets as low as 4.68V.

I wouldn't gamble on an Enermax...that's my opinion. I think they're highly overrated and cost too much. Antec, in my opinion again, is much better once getting in over 400W. I have a 350W Antec that honestly didn't do better than the 300W I had before it.

I've seen great successes out of the Sparkle 400W though. It also sports adjustable potentiometers within the case incase you need to adjust for a higher 5V output. They cost along the same lines as Antec and Enermax as well.

If you have alot of money to sped, you could go with a PC Power&Cooling, which quite probably, the best on the market.

BTW, Jon.
Do you know that, does the Antec300watt has the adjustable 5v pot?

I have 2 300W Antecs and a 350W Antec...none of them have pots, unfortunately.

Some have found them but I'm not sure how to determine which have them and which don't. I believe there are two 350W models and the "other" one has them. I have the dual fan model with monitoring built in.

At 1.85Vcore, it will be enough for you. I am working on a Sticky post that will explain what is going on. Look for it later this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

73, Hoot

So Antecs and Sparkles are the way to go? I may be upgrading to a 400W soon because of someting wrong with my Enermax 350 and Epox board. Serious problems between them.

With adjustable pots, is it ok to crank up the 12V or 5V line to increase OC speeds possibly? That'd be cool.

i also have an enermax 350..the one with the adjustable fan speeds. ive been looking all night as to how to put a potentiometer on it. i read the sticky on the 5v and am wary as to if i should be soldering things to my board or anything like that.. i just like my mobo too much... this epox draws a lot of power and it seems like anytime it droped below 4.85 it gives up.so anyway i understand some of the jargon how to do the potentiometer add on to my power supply but im all new. if someone had pictures or a schematic i could get my friend dan to do it.. he read what they were saying but he never even thought about modding a power supply.. hes not an overclocker. me ill try anything once. i know i can get this processor to go higher i just need a better power supply ram and some watercooling. if i can get the power supply fixed i can get the ram and watercooling for christmas. someone help my christmas dreams come true.

Back