• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 300w psu big enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krm197

Registered
Let's say, for everyday use, and light-moderate overclocking would be involved. The hardware I'm currently using is:

Shuttle v 3.1 spacewalker MB
Athlon 1600+ xp
256 mb 2100 ddram
Geforce 2 mx400
2 NIC cards
8x toshiba dvd
zip drive
Soundblaster 128 legacy

Some of that may be extraneous info, but I just wanted to lay it all out for you.

Should I be looking into a more powerful power supply in the future? Or would my current setup not run too well with just my 300w ps.

I am using a "Generic" A-1 PS. It barely gets the system by.
If you can afford a better one, go for it.
You can "get by" with anything else if your lucky.

Ask under the specific mobo section.

:cool:

I'd agree. If it's a generic 300W, no. Quality 300W, such as Antec, Sparkle or PC P&C would probably be fine.

Lol Jon, I like your sig.

Does anyone know of a good site where I can purchase a quality ps? And what kind of juice and I looking for in one? (How high should I go?)

krm197 said:
Lol Jon, I like your sig.

Does anyone know of a good site where I can purchase a quality ps? And what kind of juice and I looking for in one? (How high should I go?)

I'd say 350W or 400W. First check AMD's approved PS list, then go to pricewatch.com and when you find a good price, find the vendor on resellerratings.com to make sure that you won't get taken. Power PC and Cooling is extremely high quality if you don't mind spending more on your PS than on your mobo. I can't say whether it's worth it or not as I haven't had a PPC&C PS.
Good Luck!

BTW, you may have a hard time finding AMD approved pelts. :D

Last edited:

On the AMD Site, There's a heatsink that is recommended for 135w...If i were you.. Just connect the CPU To motherboard, w/ a speed monitor, also have another wire going to a battery pack, so if it goes under 3000rpms, you flip the switch cuts the power off your motherboard, and you have 7000 rpm's for a little.. until you get your power back..

There was a topic for wattage usage, Actually you dont need over 250 Watt's i believe.

Back