• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Pro not stable at stock settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiSH2oo0

I just picked this P5Q Pro up this week and no matter what I do I can't get it stable at stock. I have everything at Auto except mem I have at 5,5,5,15,55 (800) 2.0v. I've tried upping my Vcore to 1.47v where my old IP35 Pro was running my cpu at 400x9 w/ out any luck. Every time I start SuperPI it fails instantly at 1M and 32M.

wish2000 - i have the deluxe version - pretty much the same board - need a bit more info. processor, temps, etc...

I had this problem, but only when i flashed my bios with one of TEK's modded BIOS's over at extremesystems.

Have you just swapped boards with your old system specs?

I do know one thing with these boards, the memory table is pathetic, and is REALLY picky with which types it likes and which ones it doesnt.

What G. Skills are you running in your board? I'm presently running a 2 X 1 GB kit of HZ's in mine with no problems. And I never have updated the bios either; still running the original shipping bios. Like jayfella said, it might be an incompatibility with your ram.

Though I haven't had any stability problems with my OCZ RAM and this board, I updated my BIOS anyway. The latest dates from October second, and is supposed to increase memory compatibility per Asus.

I just looked in my manual and they don't show a listing for your DDR2 1000 PQ's (the last 2 letters in the model number), but they do show the DDR2 800 PQ ram in the qvl section. I wonder if they changed the chips used between the DDR2 800 and DDR2 1000 sets. And like repo man posted, you might try updating the bios to the latest release, since it's supposed to give better memory compatibility. BTW, my HZ's aren't listed in the qvl section either.

I also had problems with the P5Q Pro and that same G.Skill ram. After a week of fighting with it I sent the P5Q Pro back and got an X38 mobo and havn't had any problems.

Well I just flashed to bios 1406(off Asus web site) and still no go at stock settings of 333x9 1.35 vcore, mem at 5,5,5,15,55 (800) 2.0v, everything else is at Auto.

Super PI fails right away 1M and 32M
Prime95 ran blend test for 3hrs w/ zero errors

running Prime95 small FFT right now and I'm 1hr in so far. CPU Temp 49,49,42,44

Thx for the replies guys,
Moses

i did find with the 1406 BIOS i couldnt get any decent overclock. I just down-dated to the 1306 and can get an overclock now. i'll elaborate:

I OC'ed my e7200 to 3.6GHz (from stock 2.53) and all was fine - when i updated to the 1406 i couldnt get past 3.1GHz - so it might be best to try that one.

I did find that the 1406 BIOS supports NTFS flashing - so you can just flash to 1306 straight from your hard drive in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Well I finished running small FFT last for 3.5hrs w/ zero errors.

muddocktor

I just looked in my manual and they don't show a listing for your DDR2 1000 PQ's (the last 2 letters in the model number), but they do show the DDR2 800 PQ ram in the qvl section. I wonder if they changed the chips used between the DDR2 800 and DDR2 1000 sets. And like repo man posted, you might try updating the bios to the latest release, since it's supposed to give better memory compatibility. BTW, my HZ's aren't listed in the qvl section either.

So I decided to run memtest last night while I was sleeping. I woke up this morning to find that my G Skill mem had 2 errors. One error was in test 6 and the other was in test 8. So I had high hopes that it was going to be my mem at fault. I then grabbed some of my old Crucial BL 12864AA804.16FD3 DDR2-800 2x1GB sticks which I noticed that are in the P5Q Pro manual. I setting the mem up in bios at 4,4,4,12 2.2v (800), ran one loop of memtest and it passed. I then preceded to boot into windows so I could ran SuperPI. Low and behold still failed 1M and 32M instantly :bang head

I think next I'm going to try my old Intel E6400 cpu w/ the Crucial mem.

Moses

I've also had trouble with the G.Skill PC2-8000 (2 x 2G) ram and the P5Q Pro.

I have no trouble getting my E6750 at 3.6G (450 x 8) with the memory at 901, 8 hours Prime95 stable.

The problem is that the next ram option is 1081 and half of the time I can't boot and when I do boot, I go a couple of minutes before Prime95 fails.

I've read around and found that quite a few people have G.Skill problems with the mobo and think I might return it, for a more compatible ram, as I've spent over a week trying various clock/volt settings and got nowhere and I don't want to compromise on the cpu overclock.

Well no go w/ the E6400 @ stock and Crucial mem at 5,5,5,15 2.2v (800). I'm all out of ideas :confused:

quityourbitchin I also had problems with the P5Q Pro and that same G.Skill ram. After a week of fighting with it I sent the P5Q Pro back and got an X38 mobo and haven't had any problems.

I think I'm going to go ahead a fill out a RMA for the P5Q Pro w/ Newegg unless anyone else has something for me to try out first. If not I'm going to get a

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

or

ASUS Maximus II Formula - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131319

Any thoughts on my G Skill http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231145
w/ either of these to boards?

Thx
Moses

yah repo man11, I was going to flash to the newest mod bios from that site you linked but the file was like 4mb and I don't own a USB drive. I still flash my bios the old fashion way by floppy.

as far as the Cruial mem goes that is stock voltage w/ lose timings, heres a link http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80061-9&prodlist=cj

I'm going to try a different video card for poops and giggles

Thx for the replies everyone :)
Moses

Edit : Hers a link to the mod bios I tried to d/l that was 4+mb http://rapidshare.com/files/155279353/P5Q_series_1406_mBIOSes.rar

Feichti

Thanks for the new modded Bios

i will Try the P5Q Pro one.

I made also an mirror on Rapidshare

Here the link for you

http://rapidshare.com/files/15527935...06_mBIOSes.rar

Feichti

Last edited:
That link is to a a zipped pack of P5 series motherboard BIOS. Download it and unzip it, and the P5Q Pro BIOS is 1024 KB. Use 7Zip if you don't have WinRAR.

Ok so this time I tried my

1406 bios from Asus web site and the modded 1406 bios from the link above
E6400(stock)
6600 GT
Crucial BL 12864AA804.16FD3 5,5,5,15 2.2v(800)

Still no go on SuperPI. The only thing I didn't tryout was a different PSU. So now I have all the gear from my sig put back in w/ the Crucial BL 12864AA804.16FD3 memory and the modded 1406 bios. SuperPI still fails 1M and 32M.

So I just tried to run SuperPI 1.5 mod(this is the version of SuperPI I've been using since the start) in Admin and Compatibility mode w/ no luck. I was out in the garage having a cig and it hit me like a ton of bricks :beer:. I thought maybe if I try a older version of SuperPI, so I tried SuperPI v1.1e. Guess what, it worked fine and ran both 1M and 32M.

Now I'm wondering if it's just one of those programs that don't like Vista Ultimate or if theres still something wrong. Either way I'm going to have to run my G Skill memory w/ memtest when I go to bed tonight and see if I truly have a bad stick some where. I might get lucky and the memory will be fine w/ the new modded 1406 bios. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

O..Yah flashing your bios using Easy Flash off your HDD is AWESOME! :santa: Thx for the tip jayfella.

Moses

I think I put my finger on the problem, I can now run SuperPI 1.5 mod. I did some more brain storming and wondered if when I installed windows w/ a bad stick of memory if that could be the problem. So I reinstalled windows w/ my 2 sticks of Crucial BL 12864AA804.16FD3 and bingo! :santa: I RMAed my 2 sticks of G.Skill yesterday so will see if they work on this board next week.

Now the next problem I'm working on is my floppy drive. I can't get files to xfer to disk or format any floppy disks. I've tried 2 different cables but don't have any other drive to test w/ so that sucks. So I'm not sure how I'm going to run Memtest on my new sticks of memory when I get them.

Moses

Does one stick of RAM pass memtest? Have you tried that?

I am having a similar problem with my build :(

Back