• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q and P Dual-Core E2200- How do I overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freebeer187

Hey I am new to overclocking and I have never done it before.

I currently have a new pc that includes:

- Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz CPU

- Asus P5Q Mobo

- e-GeForce 8500 GT Video Card

- 2GB Corsair 800MHz Ram

Ive noticed that there is allot of settings in the bios for over clocking and such. Now I feel comfortable with many things on the computer, but this stuff looks like Greek to me.

What can I do with this setup? Obviously I do not want the "max" power output that would cause an early death to my equipment.

Are there any tutorials, or recommended settings? What can I do to give this PC a nice kick?

Thank you!

First :welcome:, :welcome: to the forums. Glad to have you join us.

Here is a link to an overclocking thread. It discusses a different processor but the fundamentals are the same. The fine details for a max overclock will be different but this should be you well down the road.

Overclocking at max voltages can affect the life of your CPU BUT with reasonable cooling and a reasonable approach to OCing you'll never notice an effect on the life time. That is unless you plan to keep it for a lo....ng time, as in many years.

Thank you deeppow!

I have looked at the web page you gave me and it is indeed very helpful.

I am going to continue doing some searching for the correct settings in the bios, but I would also greatly appreciate some user comments in this thread to help me out.

What are some of the key terms to look for in the bios? Voltage?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Im actually playing around with a pentium 4 3.4GHz (stock) that is on a xfx nforce 610i.

I was playing with the FSB speed. It was set to i believe 800. I put it up to 900 and it took the 3.4ghz to about 3.8ghz. Only problem was that Vista would not run. All of these settings would work fine in XP. (I have 2 HDD's. One with XP and one with Vista)

I was also slightly changing the DRAM Voltage. It was stock at 1.90 i believe. I put it up to 2.10V. I got a little increase there.

To finally get vista back up and running, I changed the FSB speed to 879MHZ. After that, Vista stopped giving me the blue screen-o-death.

Now im sitting 3.74GHz. Everything seems to be running fine. Ive checked my system temps every time I change a setting. I even let it run for a little while in the bios screen that shows my temps.

The CPU was running about about 40*C. It was consistent.

Kinda cool for the first run. :D

Back