• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5q deluxe mobo power question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayfella

Hey all,

I bought a PSU the other day (Corsair 550VX) - and on my motherboard is a 8-pin power plug (as well as the 24-pin plug) - but 4 of the 'holes' are covered with some sticky foam stuff, looks like the manufacturer put that on for some reason. my power supply has an 8 pin plug, which can be 'snapped' in half to make if 2 x 4 pin.

Should i pull that piece of sticky foam off, and put the whole 8 pins in, or just leave it as it is? Nothing is wrong, everything works fine, but i wondered if it would help my OC if i plugged the whole 8 pins in. ??

Why would they put that sticky foam stuff on it anyway? I dont know why they did that....

you know i just plugged the whole 8 pins in, and now it lets me boot at 400 x 9.5 - whereas before it didnt. Hopefully i'll be able to get more speed outta this e7200! wooo!

Either way, even if i dont get more OC, its still better to have all 8 pins plugged in, i feel a bit more stable now.

You have hit the nail on the head.

The 8 pins are to supply the greater power demands to an overclocked CPU.

I have seen pictures online of people that have overclocked with only the first 4 plugged in, and essentially they have fried their motherboard because of the large current draw through a relatively small set of terminals.

I have also read about 8 pins helping with stability - which makes sense since you will have better power delivery to the CPU.

And yes, they cover them for older PSUs which only have a 4 terminal connector supplied (hardly any around now)

--- you have possibly saved yourself an expensive lesson :beer:

Back