• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a pot; dimensions, tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

Since my buddy now has access to machine time, I thought I'd venture into extreme cooling. Copper is too expensive but brass is free. So what dimensions would be good for brass to cool chips including Prescotts and C2Ds? I'm looking for base, wall, column diameter and height.

We were also thinking of machine a column of brass, and press fitting a copper puck into the bottom. Is there any issue of the copper shrinking loads more than the brass and the puck coming free? My friend can get LN2, so I'll be using that as well as DICE. I was also going to leave an 1/8th inch lip of metal around the column partway up to mount it.

Thanks in advance, and I promise pics when its done!

Edit: Just found out the thermal conductivity of brass kinda sucks, even compared to Al. I'll see if Al is an option.

Last edited:
Yes, press fitting it will be fine, as long as the size difference is small enough.

Check out the DI/LN2 section at XS, lots of pot designs there to get you started.

Definitely go with a copper base if you can, otherwise you could do the whole thing in aluminum. Duniek, a builder at XS, makes one with brassa and a copper base, that actually looks pretty nice.

That's not the one I was thinking of, that's one of his older units (that's actually the first time I've seen that). Some of his newer stuff is here.

This thread has lots of different containers you can look at.

I went through both of those, I've been on XS for the last three hours. I'm going to talk with my friend this week about details. Thanks for the help sno.lcn, I'll keep this thread updated.

Edit: The dimensions I gave my friend are as follows: 200mm tall, 55mm ID, 5mm walls, 65mm OD, 10mm thick base. 60mm from bottom walls double in thickness to make a 5mm mounting lip. Its going to take him some time, but I think the column will be a aluminum and the puck will be copper. Subscribed to thread so I can come back and update it.

Edit Edit: LGA1366 cpus will be ~61.5mm diagonal at package edge, so this design has some future proofing.

Last edited:
ya Duniek makes a great pot for the price
mine is a Duniek alu pot and works great just allmost gets the same temps using dice as an all copper pot

Grr, roadblock. All available machine time is spoken for a good long while. :(

Back