• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Black Ice, The Work Log (Image Intensive)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fyrelith

Registered
Well it's finally started :attn: this will be the work log for my first ever liquid cooled computer. In case you haven't read my other post asking for suggestions, here's how everything is going to lay out...

Computer
  • CPU - Intel E8500 C2D
  • Mobo - ASUS Rampage Formula
  • RAM - OCZ Reaper PC2-6400 4x2GB
  • GPU - HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB
  • PS - Corsair HX1000W
  • HDD - WD Caviar SE16 640GB x2 (Thx Karkas)
  • Case - Antec P180 Black
  • Fans - Scythe S-FLEX 120MM

Cooling
  • CPU - Swiftech APOGEE GTZ
  • GPU - Swiftech MCW60-R2
  • Chipset - Swiftech MCW30
  • Pump - Swiftech MCP655 12V
  • Res - Ek Multioption Res 250 REV.2
  • Rad - Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power
  • Tubing - Tygon R-3603 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD
  • Fluid - Swiftech Hydrx Water Additive

I left out a few small unimportant items but that's the plan, but there may be a few changes along the way as to different cooling parts etc. I planned on starting this whole thing around X-mas time when NCIX has their boxing day sales but I got a little impatient and my current machine was ****ing me off a little lol. So what I ordered as a hold me over was, the Rampage Formula, E8500 and one set of the OCZ Reaper RAM which is 4gb. So that's what is going to start the build for me and I'll use everything else I need from what I have. My 7800gt, 2x250gb WD HDD and Antec PS will be going into my P180.

Now on my current machine I have an AMD64 3000+ cooled by a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, so what I decided to do was lap both the processor and HS because it's an older system and I didn't really care if I ruined it lol. The Big Typhoon will be transferring over to the E8500 (If I still have the mounting bracket :-/) and I'll find something to cool the AMD which will eventually be my Media Center PC.

Here's a few pics of the lapping process...

The Big Typhoon all cleaned up
Lapping1011.jpg

The original base
Lapping1013.jpg

The grid all drawn out
Lapping1014.jpg

Showing how uneven the base is
Lapping1015.jpg

The process
Lapping1016.jpg

Not lookin too bad now
Lapping1018.jpg

Nothing up my sleeve... and Presto!
Lapping10115.jpg

The golden kitty says it all lol actually didn't turn out too bad.

Continued...

Now the processor (Didn't get as many pics srry)

All cleaned up, just started the lapping
Lapping10110.jpg

Down to the copper ftw!
Lapping10111.jpg

Heeeerrreess the kitty
Lapping10114.jpg

Not too bad, could be better
Lapping10113.jpg

Together at last!
Lapping10116.jpg

The HS is upside down on the table, the kitty is next to it... Reflection :D
Lapping10117.jpg

I used a glass cutting board at first for my lapping surface, turned out it wasn't perfectly flat tho and it kinda ruined my corners (take a close look). I switched to a piece of glass out of a picture frame (the gf wasn't too happy lol) and proceeded to fix the damage. Started with 400 girt, then 600 up to 1500, and finished it off with a bit of polish. Didn't turn out too bad for my first time ever attempting it and I'm pretty pleased, the CPU idles at about 30C which is a few degrees lower than before :clap: Any questions, comments or suggestions are welcome.

More to come soon...

Just a regular point and shoot, it's a canon SD1100 IS capable of doing I think 40 ISO I love it, works great. Unfortunately those pics were taken by hand and could have been better, only just got my tripod yesterday lol.

Didnt get much of a chance to see temps, the parts I ordered came within a day or so of the lapping lol. Here's a few updates of the work so far... New mobo, Processor and RAM.

The P180 cleaned out
BlackIce2.jpg

The very sexy mobo :clap:
BlackIce4.jpg

ROG logo
BlackIce5.jpg

Mounted and gtg
BlackIce3.jpg

Been busy lately and haven't had the chance to get a lot done with the build. I also made a few changes to a few of the parts I'll be ordering and I'll post the updated parts list just before I order them.

PS. Any suggestions on a case? On the fence with the P180, not sure if i'll use it or not. I like black cases and a black interior would save me paint work lol so suggestions are welcome.

Back