• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A way to test a AGP slot???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusnoetos

Does anyone know a definitive way to test a AGP slot to know if it is going bad....

My wife has a SuperMicro P4SBA+ mother board.. up until recently this board has never even shown a hint of having a issue...but after having back to back ATI AGP cards go bad on this system I am starting to wonder if the AGP slot may be to blame..But I have used an Nvidia card with out a problem???
Right now we are getting by by having a standard PCI slot video card in it.

The Motherboard has an AGP pro slot.. description from the manual:
AGP Pro/4xAGP Slot (1.5V only)
The AGP Pro slot is backward compatible with AGP Pro and 4xAGP
graphics cards, which have fewer pins than AGP Pro cards. Because of
this, care must be taken when installing a graphics card into this slot, as
doing so incorrectly can damage your motherboard. For AGP Pro cards,
you should remove the orange sticker covering one end of the slot. For
other cards, leave this sticker in place and make sure your card does not
plug into the section it covers. A general rule of thumb is to make sure
your card fills the center section of pins first, then the end toward the
edge of the motherboard if there are more. If the I/O shield of your card
is flush with the edge of the motherboard, the card should be inserted
correctly.

I am afraid to put another AGP card into this motherboard...even if to just test different cards.. But I am rather frustrated because I have an All-in-Wonder that I can't use (and I was really hopping to convert some home VHS movies over to DVD with it - like my wedding video)

SO if any one has any ideas of how to test the AGP slot I am all ears.

Necromaster or Bot pushing your snapchat, I wonder?

Any mobo that still has an AGP port is going to be so old I am surprised it can even support Internet browsing. If you have a computer with an AGP port, the CPU is going to be lightyears slower than what's available today and absolutely not a viable option for video encoding. Trash it and upgrade to something modern. Dont waste your time with something that old. There are laptops going for only $99 online for Black Friday. While they are a POS, they are still way above any computer that has an AGP port.

And he still answers a 9 y.o thread quoting the guy who called it out... wow. The question was relevant 8 years ago SPL. ;)

Closed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back