• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 (EO) with 8gb ram what board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wfarid

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for what board I should get with a E8400 and probably the OCZ 8gb platinum kit (pc2-6400, 5-4-4-18). I want to be able to OC past 4 ghz. Is it possible with 8 gigs? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Last edited:
The timings on that RAM is kinda loose. I wonder how well they'll OC? You're going to have to get the RAM up to close to 900 to get your CPU over 4GHz.

Just about any P965/P35/P45/X38/X48 board should get you over 4GHz, but I worry that your RAM might not be able to handle the higher FSB speeds. No way to know until you try, though.

My P35 is loving the E8400 E0 I just got. It looks like I'll be settling in the 4.3-4.35GHz range at 1.368v.

What's your budget?

yea the timings are def going to be loose but I work a lot on Photoshop Cs3 (soon CS4) and Lightroom 2. Usually 300mb tiff files and I want something that won't offload to the hd if I multiple large image files open. I know they can hit 450, so maybe I should get an 8500 (with the 9.5 multi). Are those coming in the EO stepping lately?

What are your recommendations for mem?

Last edited:
might want to go with ddr2 1066 memory rather than ddr2 800.............that would give you some lee way in OC'ing

yea but how well would they work in an 8gb config is the question

Having all 4 dimm slots populated does put more stress on the NB, but you shouldn't have any problems unless you are on the bleeding edge of FSB speed. 500FSB should be easy, and that'll get you 4.5GHz (which is probably the most you can expect on moderate voltage...4.2-4.3GHz is more common for 1.365v).

If you only want 4GHz, and you know the RAM will do 450 then I don't see you having any issues. Having RAM that would do 500 would give you more room to play. Or you could get an E8500 E0 for the extra 1/2 multi, but personally, I'd replace the RAM before I replaced the CPU. From what I can tell the E0's (E8400, E8500, & E8600) are all pretty much equal on air/water. Its only when you have extreme cooling that the extra multi helps. These chips aren't FSB limited.

So, replacing the chip means spending more $ on a pretty much equal part. Replacing the RAM means spending more money on a higher quality product.

Well its not really a matter of replacing because I'm about to buy all this stuff from newegg (their warehouse is right next to me, I wish I could just pick it up).

If I can get 4.2 to 4.5ghz I'll be more than happy.

I think p45's have an easier time addressing 8gb's than x38's do.

yea i just bought the gigabyte ep45 ud3p, E8500, 8gb of G.Skill PC2 8500 ram. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Back