• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Dielectric Grease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

Is it ok to use contact cleaner like this (CRC QD Contact Cleaner) on a mobo?

c3023068.gif

I would not. But I've never had anything that didn't respond to good old alcohol. Usually heatsink compound, but I've even had to completely wash an MB in it (several). Coolant leaks that went unnoticed until the board finally shorted too badly to work. Stripped the board, washed it with alcohol and used a soft toothbrush to get the dried-on stuff off. Rinsed with alcohol and let it sit for a few days to make sure that it was really dry. Still using the MBs. (YMMV).

I agree with dave, good old alcohol. There are also special cleaners that are sold but alcohol works well and is often cheaper and easy to find. Your contact cleaner may work, it is just an unknown to us. :beer:

this link at blazingPC is where i got the idea. the op there asked about cleaning a cpu, but people in the thread talk about PCB... so i thought it might be fine for mobo.

also found this link at xs about various options.

i'll try toothbrush and alcohol first.

Last edited:
actually, the isopropyl and soft toothbrush did the trick. i used a toothpick to clean out the larger areas first, and use an air can to clean it up and dry it off. looks great

Back