• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI on X58 Express without NF200 chip – for $5 USD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Over the past few months, there has been plenty of speculation on whether or not SLI would be supported on Intel X58 Express motherboards.

At first it was believed that motherboard makers would need to add one or two nForce 200 chips to their boards, but that was not a good solution – too expensive, too hot and a PCB space-eater.

news_nvidia-slionx58e-01a_full.png

More recently, we heard news that NVIDIA would allow SLI on X58 based boards without the need of using the unpopular NF200 chip, but now further news falls the cracks with the word being that NVIDIA will charge motherboard makers an SLI licensing fee and the exact amount and details has leaked out into the public.

After the motherboard makers sends their board for NVIDIA approval and validation, the maker will need to agree to pay NVIDIA a licensing fee of $5 USD for each board it sells with the SLI logo.

After the motherboard makers send a big fat check over to the US from Taiwan, SLI will be enabled via an SBIOS update.

I'm betting that for every company that doesn't, someone like Ket (XS) will extract the key from a BIOS that does have it, and simply implement it into the boards BIOS that doesn't support it :attn:

cant wait! about time NV let Intel based boards get approval for SLI without some NV chip onboard.

with the way things are looking, i hope EVGA has a killer board to compete with Asus. since we are losing/lost Abit in the market.

I'm betting that for every company that doesn't, someone like Ket (XS) will extract the key from a BIOS that does have it, and simply implement it into the boards BIOS that doesn't support it :attn:

I sure hope so and I don't think it is as hard as making a 3d game.

cant wait! about time NV let Intel based boards get approval for SLI without some NV chip onboard.

with the way things are looking, i hope EVGA has a killer board to compete with Asus. since we are losing/lost Abit in the market.

Evga has made the digital PWM 790I board and it is quite good although not quite on par with the Rampage extreme.

Why does everyone hoping on the eVGA bandwagon all of a sudden :shrug: At this point in time, everyone is going to be using the exact same chipset. If Asus puts out a Rampage Extreme version of the X58, you can bet it's gonna be good thumbsup.gif

Why does everyone hoping on the eVGA bandwagon all of a sudden :shrug: At this point in time, everyone is going to be using the exact same chipset. If Asus puts out a Rampage Extreme version of the X58, you can bet it's gonna be good thumbsup.gif

well im not much of a asus fan..to me asus is becoming more you pay for the name then the board, like sony. plus Evga has better RMA replacement turn around then Asus. either Evga or i will try SUPox when they finally release their board.

I think one reason is b/c eVGA has done wonders for the 680/780 line-up. Everyone specifically recommends the eVGA boards for nVidia based chipsets. They must be doing something right, and I can't wait to see if they can pounce on the X58 competition.

Also, Shimano has left Foxconn for eVGA, so it should be interesting.

well im not much of a asus fan..to me asus is becoming more you pay for the name then the board, like sony. plus Evga has better RMA replacement turn around then Asus.

Exactly my sentiment. If X58, then either DFI or EVGA. Maybe Biostar, but unlikely.

Also, RIP Abit. So sad.

Back