• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 + P5Q Pro - 400 Mhz FSB Limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

COTN

Registered
I can't get my Q9550 to go past 400 Mhz FSB without memory errors. I have tried all sorts of settings. To make sure it wasn't the board or the ram I dropped a E8660 in and ran 450 Mhz FSB with everything on auto with no problems. Do you think it's likely that the processor is a dud? It's a step 7 C1 revision.

Make sure your RAM is running @ 1:1, or 667MHz from the default FSB settings. What BIOS version are you using? Ket over @ XS has some nice collection of modded BIOS's for these boards.

I tied a lower multi but it won't work properly over 400 Mhz.

I have tried different voltages for the CPU.

I have tried a couple of Ket's modified bios's. Currently using 0703m.

I tied a lower multi but it won't work properly over 400 Mhz.

I have tried different voltages for the CPU.

I have tried a couple of Ket's modified bios's. Currently using 0703m.

Is your RAM set @ 1:1? Go to the 333 strap and select "667MHz".

"Is your RAM set @ 1:1? Go to the 333 strap and select "667MHz".

1:1. Don't know. I tried setting the strap to 333 and the ram to 973. No go.
I tried strap at 400 and ram at 801. No go.

If your chip is currently @ 400MHz FSB, set the strap to 333 and chose the 801MHz RAM option. For some reason, the 400MHz strap is broken on these boards.

I cant find a setting on my board to set the memory to 1:1.

I believe its called 'synced' on the nVidia boards...not sure, though. If you can get your base FSB clock, and your base memory clock the same you're running 1:1. FSB is sometimes expressed as its quad-pumped effective speed, so sometimes you need to divide by 4. Memory is commonly expressed as its DDR effective speed, so you have to divide by 2.

Ex.
400MHz FSB -> 1600FSB effective
400MHz RAM -> DDR2-800 effective

400MHz FSB : 400MHz RAM
1 : 1​

what performance level are you running your ram at? you may just need to loosen up (raise) your performance level a bit. i dont know what its called in your bios as i am unfamiliar. i think i remember someone saying it was called ai transaction booster but dont quote me on that. you will probably have to set it somewhere between 8-11 to stabalize your oc. what type of ram are you running by the way? also with quad cores you usually have to manually adjust the gtl refs to get high oc's. good luck and keep us posted. by the way ur ss does show that u are running 1:1.

Tried 09 in transaction booster. No go.
My ram is Geil 1066 and it's in the QVL. The ram and board have tested as fine.

how do you know they are memory errors, are you running memtest? if your running orthose or prime95 what size does it fail at. im willing to be you need a touch more cpuv for 3.4ghz on the quad core.

Using Memtest. It fails in Prime too as soon as I go over 400. The higher the FSB the quicker it fails. I have gone as high as 1.4 vcore. Basically nothing works over 400 mhz. I know it's not faulty ram or board.

ummm what? a cpu is not going to cause the memory errors in memtest.... what size did it fail at in orthos, did you run blend or small or large? did you try the other set of dimm slots?

When you go up from 400, what are you setting? If you have your RAM locked at 800 there may be certain memory dividers that won't work well. You may have to go higher on the FSB or change the RAM speed.

One thing to try to help eliminate some variables...drop the multi on your CPU, so you can tell if its the CPU or FSB giving you issues.

Ran small large and blend. Fail.
Tried other Dimm slots.
Have tried lots of Ram settings.
Have tried dropping multi on CPU.
I say there is nothing wrong with the board or ram because I dropped a E8600 in and ran 450 FSB with .02 extra vcore. All other settings on auto and it hammered away with no problems.

Back