• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Striker Extrmeme OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newsledguy

Hello Guys n Gals. Im a noobie here so bare with me. I just got my new Striler Extreme back from an RMA, and I bought a E8500 @ 3.16 stock. Was running a E6750 @ 2.66 before oc'd @ 3.19. In CS(counter strike) I was getting 270-280 fps in that game on the stress test and faster in game. Now Im only getting 160 fps. Ok this is where it gets weird. When I try to OC this new board and CPU, it runs slower than stock speeds. My 3D06 score used to be on my old CPU oc'd @ 3.19 15080 now its only 14816. Am I missing something here?
My specs as follows:
Windows xp Professional up to date!(sp3)
Asus Striker Extrme
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooling
E8500 Intel CPU @ 3.16GHZ stock
Kingston Hyper X2 ram DDR2 @800mhz(stock)
2 X EVGA 8800GTS 640 SLI Configuration
2 X Western Digital 250ghz Drives SATA
Antec 900 Case
LG DVD Burner & Player
OCZ 750W Power Supply

Cheers and ALL help would be appreciated!!!!

What bios are you running, it sound like the 1504 to me. Download the 1603 or the 1701 from the asus website. This is what your problem is.

t\you can go back to an older bios using the oldest version of awdflash on the striker section of asus's site. your situation sounds weird i have a e6750 also and was thinking about upgrading to a wolfdale there is a new bios 1801 maybe thatll help out. Also you need 1504 or above to run a wolfdale. try 1801 and lemme know how it goes.

You say it runs slower then your old overclock? Are you overclocking the new chip at all? Is it stable? Are you sure SLI is enabled?

Thanks for the reply's. Boorishid I Tried flashing the bios and it failed:( now im going to try to reflash to an loder bios. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ghost_recon88: My first test was run at stock speeds and was not even close to being faster. I then OC'd my cpu to 3.8ghz and it only gained a 1000 points in 3Dmark06. BAHHHHHHH. And yes SLI was enabled. In CS it was much slower! Went from 270-280fps in CE to 160-170. Was stable but slower....well semi stable, POS is was it was. At my witts end on this one!!! Any help would be Nice.
Thanks Guys:)

Maybe there is something else hindering your performance, maybe a format is in order? I can get my e6750 bench stable at 4ghz, and my 3dmark is only 1200 points higher. At 3.9ghz over the original 2.66 i get around 1000 3dmarks higher. Trust me 1000 marks gained by ocing a processor on air is a wonderful gain!

The striker is finky ive had overclocking problems where things arent running as fast as they should even though the cpu is prime stable. You have to know where to push all the buttons of the striker to get performance out of it. Here is my suggestion try these voltage settings see if you make any gains

1.2ht 1.3-1.45
Nb 1.45
Sb 1.55
ddr to ref controller 20-30mv

seriously the striker is an awfull board ive been dealing with it for a year, ive recently switched from a ****ball water cooler to like the best air money can buy, and just now and am i getting the gains off of it i want. The problem has never been cpu temps either its always been the chipset! The board just wouldnt push stable fsb speeds and sometimes if does its slower.

My suggestion to you is maybe try those voltages if your mb will handel them. Next maybe do some research see if other people have these problems with CS and wolfdales. If that turns up nothing hopfully you can bench some other games on both cpu's see if its just a problem with CS. If so forget about it anything over 50fps is really just bragging rights. If all your games are slower maybe try formatting, maybe there is just something in windows screwing things up.

Honestly i have a hard time beliving a wolfdale isnt equal to an e6750 clock per clock the only diffrence is the 45nm core. Acually i think the e8x000 has a larger l2 cache by about 2mb wich should improve framerates over the e6750. So this leads me to belive maybe its the striker bios, use your wolfdale at stock speeds on bios 1603 or better run some benches, then clock your e6750 to 3.19 (all voltages should be stocked and ram in a 1:1 ratio for this test) using the same 1603 bios and see wha your results are. Maybe its an issue with the newer bios is the point im getting at, i run 1303 as it yeilds the best clocking results, unfortantely it does not support 45nm cpus.

Maybe there is something else hindering your performance, maybe a format is in order? I can get my e6750 bench stable at 4ghz, and my 3dmark is only 1200 points higher. At 3.9ghz over the original 2.66 i get around 1000 3dmarks higher. Trust me 1000 marks gained by ocing a processor on air is a wonderful gain!

The striker is finky ive had overclocking problems where things arent running as fast as they should even though the cpu is prime stable. You have to know where to push all the buttons of the striker to get performance out of it. Here is my suggestion try these voltage settings see if you make any gains

1.2ht 1.3-1.45
Nb 1.45
Sb 1.55
ddr to ref controller 20-30mv

seriously the striker is an awfull board ive been dealing with it for a year, ive recently switched from a ****ball water cooler to like the best air money can buy, and just now and am i getting the gains off of it i want. The problem has never been cpu temps either its always been the chipset! The board just wouldnt push stable fsb speeds and sometimes if does its slower.

My suggestion to you is maybe try those voltages if your mb will handel them. Next maybe do some research see if other people have these problems with CS and wolfdales. If that turns up nothing hopfully you can bench some other games on both cpu's see if its just a problem with CS. If so forget about it anything over 50fps is really just bragging rights. If all your games are slower maybe try formatting, maybe there is just something in windows screwing things up.

Honestly i have a hard time beliving a wolfdale isnt equal to an e6750 clock per clock the only diffrence is the 45nm core. Acually i think the e8x000 has a larger l2 cache by about 2mb wich should improve framerates over the e6750. So this leads me to belive maybe its the striker bios, use your wolfdale at stock speeds on bios 1603 or better run some benches, then clock your e6750 to 3.19 (all voltages should be stocked and ram in a 1:1 ratio for this test) using the same 1603 bios and see wha your results are. Maybe its an issue with the newer bios is the point im getting at, i run 1303 as it yeilds the best clocking results, unfortantely it does not support 45nm cpus.

Quick update i thought id share this with you. I just ran the CS src stress test and got 220.5 my settings as follows

1680x1050res
8xaa
16xaf
all settings on hi
reflection set to reflect all

I am running a geforce 8800gts 512mb (single card)
striker 1303 bios
[email protected] for this test
4gb ram
vista x64

Also while duning this test i had winamp playing my virus scanner running and orthos one hour into testing small ftt's

Maybe you just changed something in your vid settings. I dont think the stress test really uses to much of your cpu, it makes no sense your 3dmark score goes up but your fps drop so drastically.

thats what Im getting at. I dont get it either!!! Its ****ed up!!!! Gonna do a complete rebuild this weekend or before to see if this gets it right! Will keep you posted. Thanks for the replies too:)

Hey guys. Have'nt had time to do that rebuild yet. Work is killing me:( But I will get to it A.S.A.P. Any other suggestions?
Cheers!

Well finally got it up and running. Had to ditch the 1701 bios and replace it with 1801. Now it rocks well almost. Have it running stable at 3.8 and my 3Dmark06 is 16680!!!! Yeah baby. Thanks for all the help guys and gals. BTW bios 1701 didnt wouldnt let be boot with my SLI set up. Thats why I went to 1801.
Cheers!!!!!! And thanks for all the help again.

I wish i had sli! I drool at your 3dmark score i can only get 1400 heavy OC on like the same system single card! I was seriously going to save up and get another video card (times are a bit rough i quit my career to go back to school and work a **** job) and then last night i had to order new ram. Crucial sucks at least what i ordered is is faster at a lower voltage, maybe ill get some higher OCin in.

Back