• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P5Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
OK, I have an EVGA 680i right now with an E6400 and 2X2GB of Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 RAM. Well one stick of the RAM is dead so I am running on 2GB right now.

I am looking for a new Mobo that will either use the Corsair RAM I get from the RMA or THIS RAM. I have decided on one of the P5Q mobos but I have no idea which one. My current videocard is a 8800GTS 640mb abd the processor is a 6400 at 3.2ghz. With the new mobo I will eventually get a quad core processor. Midrange processor, I do not need top of the line. SLI/Crossfire will not really be an issue as I am currently using a 19' LCD but I would like to go to a 22" or so monitor in the future............ I do not game a lot on this computer now so graphics power is not so important. I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit.

The 680i, 6400 and whatever RAM does not work as well on the P5Q will become an overpowered file server for my main comp, laptop and PS3 and will run Windows XP.

Basically my questions are: Which P5Q should I get and why. And, which RAM should I be looking at and why.............

Thanks in advance.

The most cost efficient is the P5Q Pro. The best performance among the P5Q is the Dulex if I'm not mistaken.

The mushkin and corsair dominator rams should hit 1100mhz, 5-5-5-15 quite easily.

Is the Deluxe really worth the $50 or so premimum? I will not be water cooling and have a Tuniq Tower 120 right now. As I said, my video demands are not that great on a 1280x1024 LCD. I am not sure how I should proceed but I will be getting the Mushkin RAM before the sun rises as I need something to keep me going until I get the Corsair sticks back from RMA...............

Regarding deluxe vs pro, I am in no position to advice as I don't own either one.

Based on my limited knowledge, I don't think so. This is because you're using a dual and you're using air cooling. Dual = relatively easy to oc than quads. Air = limited by heat.

As for the deluxe vs premium...

The premium is essentially the duluxe but with an Insane amount of ports...

The premium has:

10 x USB 2.0 on I/O panel with extra headers inside supporting 4 more...

4 x Gigabit Lan Ports...

10 x SATA ports...

So if you need this many ports them get the premium but if you dont save yourself some money and get the deluxe

or... for the same price as the premium get the ASUS maximus II Formula which is superior!...

Awsome looking with performance to match... Seperate Fx soundcard include with LED poster + more...

I'd go with the Pro as so far there has been no difference shown between 8 and 16 power phases. That was just a lot of hype when they first came out, but since then things have cooled down and all the P5Q boards overclock quads and duals pretty well.

At this point, P5Q boards with 1x PCI-E slot cost about as much as those with 2x, so there's really no point in buying a single-slot motherboard.

Back