• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780i ddr2 Evga mobo compatible with ddr3 gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-honson

Ok so im panicing cuz i watched this video on youtube which says that you cant put a ddr3 module in a ddr2 mobo.

i bought a 780i mobo which is ddr2 and my video card is a 9800gtx+ which is ddr3.... am i screwed or.... caan i use it and just get ddr2 performance from my video card?

also was this a bad idea? damnit i shoulda did more research before buying my mobo. Will i have trouble down the line?

thanks-
j

p.s. i did buy ddr2 ram sticks..... if thats any constellation...

anyone also who can like privately help me with my computer please pm me,
note my build is below

165 Mobo - 780i evga nvidia
206 CPU - Q9450
79 Ram - 4GB Corsair QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF
151 GPU - 9800gtx+
119 PSU - PPC Silencer 750W
202 Case - Lian Li PC-p60 Armorsuit
287 Harddrive - WD1500HLFS x 2
180 Soundcard - Sound Blaster X-FI

The only thing i think i have a problem with is my video card being ddr3 and my mobo being only ddr2.... should i upgrade to the 790i which is ddr3 compatible so ic an get the best out of my mother board? then again if i get a 790i to support ddr3, my ram sticks are only ddr2.....ugh im stressed

Ok so im panicing cuz i watched this video on youtube which says that you cant put a ddr3 module in a ddr2 mobo.

i bought a 780i mobo which is ddr2 and my video card is a 9800gtx+ which is ddr3.... am i screwed or.... caan i use it and just get ddr2 performance from my video card?

also was this a bad idea? damnit i shoulda did more research before buying my mobo. Will i have trouble down the line?

thanks-
j

All graphics card RAM works individually from the rest of the system, it does not matter what the card has on it. For example you can run a 4870X2 (GDDR5) on A DDR2 or DDR3 motherboard. You will however like you have already done have to buy DDR2 for system RAM. As long as you have the PCI-E for it to work it should have no problems. As graphics cards need to perform better and better they need faster performance memory and that is all the different GPU memory is.

thanks-
j

GDDR is different from DDR. DDR would be the system memory, while GDDR is graphics card memory. The YouTube comment was correct; a DDR2 motherboard is not compatible with DDR3 ram and vice versa. However, all you need to worry about with graphics cards is that you have the correct interface (i.e. PCI-E). The graphics memory is of no importance.

GDDR is different from DDR. DDR would be the system memory, while GDDR is graphics card memory. The YouTube comment was correct; a DDR2 motherboard is not compatible with DDR3 ram and vice versa. However, all you need to worry about with graphics cards is that you have the correct interface (i.e. PCI-E). The graphics memory is of no importance.
LOL, you still have alot yo learn yound grasshopper. The graphics as no relation to the RAM on your motherboard, so don't worry.

Back