• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage Extreme vs eVGA 790i FTW PWM, need quick help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dim1014

Hi guys. I currently have the opportunity to get either of these cards brand new at the same price! I need help deciding!

From what I understand the Rampage Extreme would allow me to use DDR2 memory but I can never SLI with it? is this right?

and the 790i FTW PWM would let me SLI?

(i'm currently not going to SLI but might sometime much alter in the future)

other than the SLI, ram thing, what do you guys know about these two motherboards? which is better for general performance and moderate overclocking?

I will use a q9650 and an eVGA GTX 280 FTW. Thanks!

Rampage Extreme is DDR3 :thup:

It will do Crossfire not Sli.

yeah I know it would do crossfire, but I use nvidia cards only so SLI is what I would need. the Rampage Extreme would not support DDR2 ram? I thought the specs said it supports DDR2 as well? "4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory "

Which board would you recommend overall?

the Rampage Extreme is DDR3....I have one, it's only DDR3.

I'm really really biased and would tell you to buy the Rampage Extreme....

However, if you don't intend to seriously overclock (Ln2, Cascade, DICE, SS) then in that case the 790i FTW digital pwm is probably the more sensible choice for you.

But I love the Rampage Extreme :screwy:

personally, if SLi is ever a question - go with the 790i

if you know for fact that your NOT going to be using SLi i would go with the Asus board.

to SLi or not to SLi - that is your question.

both boards can take that chip close to 500fsb. i think your going to run into heat problems before you run into board fsb problems

personally, if SLi is ever a question - go with the 790i

if you know for fact that your NOT going to be using SLi i would go with the Asus board.

to SLi or not to SLi - that is your question.

both boards can take that chip close to 500fsb. i think your going to run into heat problems before you run into board fsb problems

Excellent point! +1

If you really anticipate getting a second Nvidia card then the only choice is the 790i.

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I'd just like to ask one final question. if I was never gonna SLI and that I would only overclock my cpu to 400 mhz or lower (just not a lot), would either processor give me a bigger advantage?

I will throw a wrench in the spokes :screwy:...

You could also wait until the X58 Extreme II comes out and just upgrade then...would be a complete system upgrade...cpu/mb/memory

The X58 Extreme II will support both Crossfire and SLI and have triple channel DDR3 memory...

eh, I'm getting these at a relatively good deal and I already bought a Q9650! so I need an LGA 775 mobo :p

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I'd just like to ask one final question. if I was never gonna SLI and that I would only overclock my cpu to 400 mhz or lower (just not a lot), would either processor give me a bigger advantage?

If you're not going to push your chip hard then you can get a much cheaper mobo. I'm guessing either board will allow you to get 4GHz+ out of your CPU.

My question would be "if you are only going to go to 400mhz, why would you even consider getting either board?" That is like buying a Corvette to just go down the block to get your groceries. But like rdrash, I love my RE.

Pntgrd makes a good point. Why spend all the extra cash for high-end board if your only going to putt putt around. Maybe a P5 Deluxe would be better for you.

Back