• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems w/ new build: Asus 4850 won't post.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ellessone

Registered
Hi, I just finished up my second build (in 6 years. . .) and after installing the drivers (installed XP SP3, ASUS motherboard drivers) I installed the ASUS video drivers. Everything was fine, I went to install the overclock utility, noticed it was made for vista and decided not to mess with it and canceled out of the utility installation. After I went to restart it only now goes to the XP load screen and then the monitor goes blank and everything resets itself but it never goes to BIOS or reboots, it just hangs. . . what the hell did I do wrong, everything else is fine. . .:bang head Thanks in advance for your help!

List below

Q6600 quad
Asus P5Q Pro MB
Asus 4850 512MB GDDR3
OCZ 500W PSU
4GB OCZ Memory (DDR2-800)
Seagate 500GB
Lite-On DVD/CD
Artic Cooling Heatsink / Fan

Well i wouldnt use that software. I had freeze ups from that stuff. It never worked right. You wanna overclock from the bios. Pull out your motherboad manual and find out for to clear your CMOS if you dont know. Thats should fix your problem. Next time overclock from the bios.

Pull out your battery on your mobo to clear the BIos

Then if not post try to post up in safe mode if that works goto

controlpanel=administrative tools event viewer to get an idea of what happened

Hi, I just finished up my second build (in 6 years. . .) and after installing the drivers (installed XP SP3, ASUS motherboard drivers) I installed the ASUS video drivers. Everything was fine, I went to install the overclock utility, noticed it was made for vista and decided not to mess with it and canceled out of the utility installation. After I went to restart it only now goes to the XP load screen and then the monitor goes blank and everything resets itself but it never goes to BIOS or reboots, it just hangs. . . what the hell did I do wrong, everything else is fine. . .:bang head Thanks in advance for your help!

List below

Q6600 quad
Asus P5Q Pro MB
Asus 4850 512MB GDDR3
OCZ 500W PSU
4GB OCZ Memory (DDR2-800)
Seagate 500GB
Lite-On DVD/CD
Artic Cooling Heatsink / Fan

All the software should be compatible with XP. Fine here with the P5QL Pro.

Well i wouldnt use that software. I had freeze ups from that stuff. It never worked right. You wanna overclock from the bios. Pull out your motherboad manual and find out for to clear your CMOS if you dont know. Thats should fix your problem. Next time overclock from the bios.

Let me clarify, I'm not trying to overclock the card or the processor right now, I'm just trying to get it to function at it's default speed. . .

Anyway, the card randomly reboots either during windows XP or now after I loaded up Crysis, it starts to spin the CD and then once it tries to start the game it completely reboots. It's like it can't handle the operation of loading the game.

At random times it will have horizontal lines going across the screen whether it's at the MB splash screen, the Windows XP loading screen or even at the desktop. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes worse than others. I checked to make sure the card was plugged in all the way.

So, to sum it up, there are two (2) issues: the random reboots and the horizontal lines.

Thanks again for all your help, what a way to spoil a fresh new rig!! :screwy:

Uninstall the ATI drivers (use safe-mode if you have to), use driver sweeper (in safe-mode), and then start over.

I went through the trouble of creating an image right before I installed the ATI drivers (on a fresh XP install) just to be sure I didn't have any issues like I had in the past. I did have issues, and was very glad I was able to revert back to my image in a matter of minutes.

These ATI drivers are tricky...I've probably spent 20+hrs messing w/ them at different times.

No, the issue has not been resolved!! :bang head

I have been dealing with this all weekend, formatting, resintalling XP, cleaning drivers, resintalling drivers / INFs, testing RAM, etc.

So, the main issue now is just these "horizontal and vertical artifacts". . .at the Windows and Bios booting screens (this is only w/o the drivers loaded mind you). It will not even work with the drivers installed. It worked last night for a while and was running great (played Crysis on High for about an hour), then the artifacts came back and crapped out.

I'm really hoping this is just bad Video Ram. I have put in a request for an RMA and just recently ordered a NVidia 260. I would rather just work with what I have now, so any other suggestions are much appreciated!

Also, I have run Prime95 for a couple hours and my RAM was ok, just FYI.

Thanks for your help

OK, for starters the artifacting is probably happening from your cards fan not spinning fast enough. The first BIOS release for the HD 4850 has **** poor fan control, then ATI released a new BIOS for the cards that had better fan control.

Also you want to do a clean operating system install, then install the latest 8.10 drivers from the ATI site. Then you'll need to use atiflash to update the BIOS on your video card to one that can properly use the heatsinks fan.

Back