• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new Mobo for 2009 Super Rig - E8500 Wolf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ibuddha

ok so i'm building a new super rig because I'm retiring my current rig to my brothers.

so far i've come up with an E8500 wolfdale a corsair 620hx psu and an evga 8800gts G92

some one suggested getting a Pq5 but i kind of have an evga love affair. can some one suggest a good mobo that will be compatible?

I'm not going to be doing any OC whatsoever at all. I just want a stable system that will kick ***.

thanks all.

ps. if you can suggest some DDR that would be awesome.

I'm not going to be doing any OC whatsoever at all. I just want a stable system that will kick ***.

:screwy:

On an even more serious note, the only thing eVGA currently offers that you might be interested in is their 780i and 790i boards. 780i using DDR2, 790i using DDR3. Do you plan on adding a 2nd 8800GTS down the road? If so, I would get one of those 2 boards for sure.

If you plan on using just one card, I would look at a P5Q based board. Regardless of which board you get, you're definitely gonna want to overclock that chip man. 4GHz is super easy on them.

I've never OC'ed and I don't think I want too firstly because I don't know how and wouldn't know where to start and also because I've heard of people frying their system byt messing around with OC'ing and stuff.

as for SLI considering that my card is basically "old" already despite being GODLIKE I might consider down the road getting a second but since Newegg doesn't sell it anymore I'd have to do some research.

Last edited:
well if you dont mind ATI then get the P5Q-pro or P5Q-E then as its a CF board. like he pointed out the evga aka NV based board are SLI only. there are a lot of boards that will work with the setup it just depends on the features and how much $$ you want to spend.

What's your budget?

If you don't plan on OCing then you really will just be throwing money away if you spend a lot on a mobo. Just about any cheap ECS board will run your equipment at stock w/o issue.

Everyone has to start somewhere...I suggest you get some equipment and start a thread for help on OCing it. You'll get so much more performance for your $ that way. If you really want a 'Super Rig', OCing is the ONLY way to get it.

There really isn't a lot of risk in frying your equipment unless you're using insane voltages.

If you really want an eVGA motherboard maybe get a 750i if your on some sort of budget. its a good board but its got like 3 less features than the 780/790i. :thup:

If you dont want to OC, i would suggest waiting for the Nehalm chips to come down in price, they offer a lot better stock performance than existing C2D and have been proven not to overclock as well, this would be your best bet:)

Ok so if you a going to build a super rig lets build a super rig. X58 and the new Nehalem CPU's are launching in december. if you can wait that long do it. the entry to mid range CPU's arent going to cost a fortune. if you want to build a new rig now then why on earth would you get something that is going away in 1 to 2 months. i made that mistake back in the day wen i went high end socket 478 not knowing lga775 and DDR-II was right around the corner.

overclocking is not as deadly as you think. get a nice CPU cooler and a moderate overclock on air is simple. of course i have no idea how to do it on nehalem.

DDR-III has come down in price and its time to adopt and move forward.

Back