• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K-E or P5Q Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chat Noir

This is my first time posting a thread here so please forgive me if my question
doesn't belong to this forum.

I have recently purchased a new motherboard P5Q Deluxe from a local store
as an update from P5K-E.
Since it was like an impulse buy without careful research, I haven't yet decided
I should either give this board a try or keep the old one.

I understand I shouldn't be expecting much improvements from the new
chipset P45 when compared with P35. So far, I haven't seen much noticeable changes.

However, with P45 being the last chipset for LGA775, I'm assuming
P5Q series will have better supports and more updates than P5K series.

Tho Core i7 series are coming up soon with LGA1336 and 1160, I will
be using either one of these boards above for a while with some updates
like better VGA card or ram.

Do you guys have any suggestions or advices that can help me decide?

Thank you

:welcome: to OCForums

The P5Q Deluxe is a great board! In my personal experience with both the P35 and P45 chipsets, the P45 chipset has always overclocked better then the P35 and runs a lot cooler.

As far as support goes, any chip that runs on the P45 can also run on the P35. However since the P45 is a newer chipset most motherboard companies are putting more time and effort into releasing BIOS for P45 boards then they are their older P35 ones. You are correct in assuming that P45 boards from here on out will have better support then P35. If bugs haven't been removed from a P35-based board by now, they probably won't be as P35 has reached the end of its life.

Thank you for your quick suggestions.

I will think about this a little bit more but I'm pretty sure I will give P5Q a go.

And to answer your question, there is no specific reason choosing Deluxe
over E or Pro. I know these 3 boards will perform pretty much the same
with my current rig. It was just that there were only deluxe or EM available at
the local store.:p

I doubt they perform similar. The pro and deluxe is in a class of it's own.

Not really. It's been shown time and time again the 16-phase and 8-phase power systems have no real difference when it comes to overclocking (both quads and duals). With the Deluxe you get dual-gigabit and optical audio out.

Back