• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board from santa

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xgtdec

Hey There

This weekend i transfered my sig machine into a new case(remind me to update sig)i got the thermal take xaser 4000swa and i gotta say its a really good case. i also picked up a corsair 1000w modular supply for a spot of future proofing. But alas now with christmas coming i'm looming at the board and ram. If i am honest the board has just been a let down due to UGURU and the bios. I cant even get my RAm to go to default timings. So i was thinking this christmas i would go all out on a new board for ddr3 ram and maybr tri-sli, what do you think is a worthy board with good reports, or out of the machine in my sig, what would you be looking at upgrading?

Since you are looking for some advice on what to upgrade from your current rig in sig...

1. Definitely upgrade your GPUs if you can

2. As for MB it will really depends on which GPUs you choose to go with...but something in DDR3 flavor will go a long way(my opinion)

3. so then you will need to upgrade your ram to some DDR3....

just my 2 cents

Ah the old grapics cards, i'm not sure what is stopping me but those 2 cards seem to run anything they need to. I mean i have farcry 2 now and it runs with no problems at all, but i imagine that an upgrade to a pair of the 280 series cards in sli would be the way to go. i was thinking of the Asus Striker II Extreme board which would be good for the ddr3 and the new gpu's. Would this board be the best if i decided to upgrade the gpu's in January/February?

If you have got the money for the Striker II Extreme get it its awsome:

The Good
• Thanks to the 790i, overclocking is no longer a weakness of the nVidia chipsets.
• 490fsb easily obtainable on a Q6600 - 508fsb on a QX9650
• Insane range of voltage options.
• Performance on par or better than a lot of Intel chipset boards.
• Great layout with tons of innovative features.
• Fusion cooling system works well without water.

The Mediocre
• BIOS options not as extensive as on some of Asus' Intel chipset based motherboards.

The Bad
• Some may consider it high price as the bad

performance: 10/10
Price: 5/10
Layout/looks: 10/10

Source oc3d.net

ya i have to say i was let down by that POS abit board. i used to use it and now its a 300 dolar POS paperweight. you have alot invested in your 8GB of ram and your QX9650. i would recomend just getting a nice evga 780i board. (nvidia builds these boards and evga puts their name on it) it gives you PCI-E 2.0 support and get a pair of GTX 280's. going tripple SLI realy gives you no benefit unless your CPU can feed them. trust me i know i have tried. any performance gain is not 400 dollars worth of gain. also why not invest in a nice WC rig and overclock some more.

Back