• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5N and Q9550, cant get cpu past 3.8Ghz (only adjuted cpu voltage).. Help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaV3N

ASUS P5N and Q9550, cant get cpu past 3.8Ghz (only adjuted cpu voltage).. Help :(

Ive been trying to figure out a way to get past 3.8 Ghz with my Q9550. The Cpu is 100% stable , 2 hours of prime 95 and a week of use. I havent touched any voltages beside the cpu voltage. Whenever i try to go past 3.8 it wont boot, even with more cpu voltage?! Now i dont know what other voltages to adjust. Any suggestions?
FSB @ 1800 or 450 x 8.5

Last edited:
That is pushing 447fsb, I bet the issue lies there. Drop your multi to 6 and try the same FSB. You are basically at the "wall" for most quads, this may be something that you will have difficulty getting past. I know my first QX9650 could only do 485 by upping the FSB in Windows, no way it would boot (that was on DICE btw).

If it works, then it is something with the CPU (vcore or GTLREF), if it doesn't work, it is the board (or GTLREF).

Yea it booted with the multi at 6 and the same fsb but upping the fsb i dont get any luck on a boot.

Last edited:
Yea it booted with the multi at 6 and the same fsb but upping the fsb i dont get any luck on a boot.
So dropping the multi and upping the FSB yielded the same results? If so, it is the board or the GTL reference voltages. Up them *slightly* to see if you can boot at a little higher speed.

I set the GTL to +10mV and upp the FSB from 1800 to 1840 and I get a boot but anything past that it wont boot into windows, but it does get further then it did. Is it worth upping the GTL to go from 3.82 to 3.89? Otherwise i cant get a boot, any other ideas?

If it helped upping it, you could always try for more. I'm not sure why your GTL voltages are like that, they should be percentages or values between 0-1.

Oh really? Would you know what would be the highest i could set it.NOTE: It increases in increments of 10, ex: +10mV,+20mV and so on.

The "max" the board could take will be different with each board. When I had a 680i/780i (or any boards), I didn't need to touch it, so I have no experience there.

The idea is to try various settings and see what helps/hurts. This is pure trial & error (and very time consuming). Once you figure out how to get the FSB running faster you can go back and put the multi back at 8.5, and try to get the CPU stable at the faster speed (should be much easier w/ a stable FSB).

Yea the FSB wont increase with the multi dropped. If i play with the GTL - and + vaules in increments of 10. I get some boots and pass a few tests in prime 95 then i get a blue screen. So i still cant seem to get pasted 3.80. Ill have to keep trying different things.

Last edited:
If you haven't touched any other voltages you should pump up the NB to at least 1.4-1.5. I have my Q9550 at 4.0, however I need a NB of 1.5 to do it.

Depends on the chip, and mobo. My Q9550 hates anything above 1.25v on the NB (its P35, though).

1.5v on the NB is pretty high for P45.

Back