• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k Del died tonight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So lately I have been having random BSODs. I would just reset and go. Today I had a BSOD and it kept booting in to another BSOD. So I turned it off because I was too lazy to look deeper into it. Turned it back on and it was fine. Then BSOD'd again. So this time I decided to turn my OC back to factory. Rebooted and never got it to post again. So I started taking things off one at a time trying to find the culprit untill I ended up taking my mobo out finding this...

dgfgh001-1.jpg

Looks like a cap went pop. I have never dealt with Asus warranty. Would this even be covered under warranty? I am not the first time owner of this board and do not have a reciept. Is it repairable? Or should I just scrap it and start looking for a new board? Suggestions?

--pak

I don't see how that wouldn't be covered...

I've never personally dealt with them, so I can't give first hand experience.

Regarding repairablity, if it was just the cap, then yes, fairly easy. Look for a replacement and put it on (over simplified of course). If you don't know how to solder or doubt your skills, I wouldn't suggest trying it if they will take it.

I have no problem soldering a new cap on there. Is that something I can get at the local Radio Shack?

I have no problem soldering a new cap on there. Is that something I can get at the local Radio Shack?

Well replacing the cap is easy, just need to find the same exact one.The acid that drained it will be the problem. You can see from the pic it ran down the board between the ram slots. You'll be better off RMAing back to asus instead of going thru all that hassle only to find out the board is toast.

Asus is pretty good at RMA's, just turn around time is a bit slow. Email/call them and find out. You got nothing to lose ;)

*Edit* There's an open box @ Newegg incase that doesn't work out.

Call Asus, and get an advanced RMA. They'll put a charge-hold on your CC (until they get the bad board back), but you'll get the new board pretty quick. Then you also have a nice box to send the bad board back in.

OT: Neb, do caps have acid in them?

Back