• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about removal of heatsinks on Maximus formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

I should be receiving my board either today or tomorrow:santa: and I will immediately install it. However I want to install new thermal compound under all the heatsinks pretty soon after Im' up and running (I know I'll need to remove the board.) I'll be using AS5 on the heatsinks, but Ive heard that under some components (like the MOSFETs?) I would have to use a completly non-conductive compound like AS Ceramique or I could fry something. Can anyone clarify this?

Personally, I'd just leave it alone, but if you must, then yes, use something like ASC or MX-2.

You have to be very careful when removing the HS. You don't want to bend the heatpipes, and that can be difficult to avoid. At least 1 person on here has killed their board trying to remove the HS.

I've removed the heatsink and slobbered on AS ceramique for the mosfets. Works great with my HR-09s.

Some people had a hard time removing the NB heatsink and had to resort to things like chilling the board and then twisting it off. I'm pretty sure all I did was heat it up with a hair dryer and then slowly pull it off.

jason4207 said:
Personally, I'd just leave it alone, but if you must, then yes, use something like ASC or MX-2.

You have to be very careful when removing the HS. You don't want to bend the heatpipes, and that can be difficult to avoid. At least 1 person on here has killed their board trying to remove the HS.
Yeah I've considered that, this was more of a preliminary question. I'm going to get everything working before I make the final decision. Would you say that I wouldn't see a real drop in temps with the reinstall or more like it's not worth the risk?

Also, My question really wasn't answered. Could I potentially fry my board if I put conductive thermal compound under a heatsink that had components under it that were electronically sensitive?

Didn't I already say that I have AC Ceramique on my mosfets? If you put CONDUCTIVE ones, then you are asking for trouble. AC Ceramique is non conductive.(I think)

It's easy to remove, just make sure you are careful not to bend the heatpipe. Since it's three-sectional, be sure to remove all the screws first. Keep in mine that at one point there are two "plates" that sit overlapping, they are actually "glued" together, so be careful when separating them.

Gunlance said:
Didn't I already say that I have AC Ceramique on my mosfets? If you put CONDUCTIVE ones, then you are asking for trouble. AC Ceramique is non conductive.(I think)
Yes but you didn't say it was a necessity, thanks for clarifying though. I do know that Ceramique IS non-conductive.
Are the MOSFETS covered by the heatsinks to the top and left of the CPU?

yeah the mosfets are the ones to the top and left of the cpu. Honestly, I don't think all the extra cooling(the ceramique and hr-09s) did anything. I touch it every once in a while while priming or stressing and the hr-09s are not hot to touch ever. It may not be worth messing with the mosfets.

Yeah I've considered that, this was more of a preliminary question. I'm going to get everything working before I make the final decision. Would you say that I wouldn't see a real drop in temps with the reinstall or more like it's not worth the risk?

Also, My question really wasn't answered. Could I potentially fry my board if I put conductive thermal compound under a heatsink that had components under it that were electronically sensitive?

I don't think the drop in temps will be significant unless its making bad contact. A small fan might be more effective, and much easier.

If you use a conductive or capacitive TIM and any bridges some metal contacts then you will have problems. If you can keep it on the black plastic part you won't have issues, but its better to be safe and use one of the many high performance non-conductive/non-capacitive TIMs.

Back