• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Rampage Extreme: Guidance, Tips and/or Cautions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katoman1932

I am a 77 year-old neophyte attempting to keep my mind active with my second build. I have read and reread the Extreme manual as well as visited numerous site in search of suggestions to utilize during my initial boot procedure. I am seeking guidance/suggestions which would enable me to have the smoothest operation. Overclocking IS NOT my initial priority. The following is a list of my components: Rampage Extreme;Intel Core 2 Duo E8600; mushkin XP 4GB (2 X 2GB)DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); 2 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA; LG DVD+R SATA Burner; PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V;HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit; Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler; Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit; Lian Li PC-A70 case. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions and/or recommended links.:attn:

If you're not looking to OC, it's probs best to just leave the CPU at auto settings for now. Set the memory voltage, timings and speed manually. I take it you'll be running the HDDs in RAID0? Don't save any important data on them, or at least make a backup. The risk of data loss on a RAID0 is to great imo.

Welcome to the forums!

Like what komaa has mentioned, leave everything on auto. Actually, you don't need to touch the BIOS at all. Just pop in the CPU, RAM, GPU and the CPU cooler. Everything will go smoothly. As for HDD, RAID0 or no raid is up to you. Like what komaa has said, RAID0 should not contain important data. Back it up on a CD (Not jokking. Soft copy of Insurence, wills etc) or flash drive.

Thanks Komma & Blazing Fire

These are EXACTLY the types of information I need to know. I had truly hoped that in the beginning I WOULD NOT have to change anything utilizing the BIOS.

It is my initial intent to use Raid0 and I use Acronis as my backup software. When my budget permits I intend to double my memory and add two more hard drives. At that time I will change my Raid0 setup.

Does this make sense?:-/

These are EXACTLY the types of information I need to know. I had truly hoped that in the beginning I WOULD NOT have to change anything utilizing the BIOS.

It is my initial intent to use Raid0 and I use Acronis as my backup software. When my budget permits I intend to double my memory and add two more hard drives. At that time I will change my Raid0 setup.

Does this make sense?:-/

Glad that we were of some help :D.

You could double your memory to make it 8GB. That is good. But adding 2 more HDDs to have a total of 4 HDDs in Raid0? You could but I suggest getting a dedicated raid controller card.

You don't need a raid controller for RAID0. Raid controllers are if you want to run RAID5 or 6. The Intel ICHxR is very fast in RAID0 up to 6 drives.

Personally I don't see the point of a 4 drive RAID0. With 2 Velociraptors you already have 600GB of fast app and work storage. I don't see how you would need any more. Any additional drives should be left raidless or put in RAID1. With only 2 drives in RAID0 the risk of HDD failure is already high. You could go RAID5, which will give you protection against 1 drive failing and still offer most of the RAID0 speed benefits.

I would leave the 2 velociraptors in RAID0 and either buy 2 big drives and put them in RAID 1 or buy 2 small drives for RAID1 and 1 big one for unimportant data storage.

How much data do you have that needs to be kept safe? Or is this a pure "play" rig? By all means go for a quad RAID0 then.

8GB ram seems like overkill. What are you intending to do on the PC?

Personally I don't see the point of a 4 drive RAID0. With 2 Velociraptors you already have 600GB of fast app and work storage. I don't see how you would need any more. Any additional drives should be left raidless or put in RAID1. With only 2 drives in RAID0 the risk of HDD failure is already high. You could go RAID5, which will give you protection against 1 drive failing and still offer most of the RAID0 speed benefits.

I would leave the 2 velociraptors in RAID0 and either buy 2 big drives and put them in RAID 1 or buy 2 small drives for RAID1 and 1 big one for unimportant data storage.

How much data do you have that needs to be kept safe? Or is this a pure "play" rig? By all means go for a quad RAID0 then.

8GB ram seems like overkill. What are you intending to do on the PC?

I agree with the ones in bold.

Regarding 8GB. It's more of bragging rights more than anything else. But some claim they experience a performance boost between 4GB and 8GB in vista. Given the fact that he does not overclock, then having 4 DIMMs is of no issue. IMO, get 8GB.

Thank You One and All

This new build will be used exclusively for gaming. Apart from my OS, access to the Internet for updating my hardware and software, Avira Security Suite, and Acronis True Image Backup programs I have no need for a huge storage drive.

The machines I use for routine daily activities [email, photography editing of my Nikon digital images, on-line shopping, bill paying et al. are my Dell XPS desktop and my awesome Gateway P-171XL FX laptop. The Gateway is a true portable gaming machine capable of handling even Crysis without any problems.

I currently have my Rampage Extreme motherboard configured properly and will take my time building up my Lian Li case per the suggestions you all have offered. The first item in will be my power and the last item will be the motherboard.

After the Christmas Holidays I will purchase a Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB and place it in Raid1 as suggested. Next I will add the two sticks of memory.

Does this make sense?

Again I cannot thank each of you enough for taking time to advise an Old Fart like me. I just do not have that much more time to make a lot of mistakes on this last build if you know what I mean!:-/

This new build will be used exclusively for gaming. Apart from my OS, access to the Internet for updating my hardware and software, Avira Security Suite, and Acronis True Image Backup programs I have no need for a huge storage drive.

The machines I use for routine daily activities [email, photography editing of my Nikon digital images, on-line shopping, bill paying et al. are my Dell XPS desktop and my awesome Gateway P-171XL FX laptop. The Gateway is a true portable gaming machine capable of handling even Crysis without any problems.

I currently have my Rampage Extreme motherboard configured properly and will take my time building up my Lian Li case per the suggestions you all have offered. The first item in will be my power and the last item will be the motherboard.

After the Christmas Holidays I will purchase a Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB and place it in Raid1 as suggested. Next I will add the two sticks of memory.

Does this make sense?

Again I cannot thank each of you enough for taking time to advise an Old Fart like me. I just do not have that much more time to make a lot of mistakes on this last build if you know what I mean!:-/

For anti-virus, I recommend kaspersky 2009 OR nod32 version 3. Do not buy the "internet security 2009" or the "ESET smart security" as they include a relatively weak firewall. Use comodo with defense + as your firewall.

I sincerely hope you overclock one day because buying the Rampage Extreme and not ocing is a total waste of money! Get a nice custom water cooling setup (for bragging rights, looks, quietness and performance) and you'll make your project complete.

Yes that makes sense.
Nah! We are here to help! :santa:

For water cooling, this is the most cost efficient built. Built on this.

Does this make sense?

Purely for gaming? If that's the case then just get 1 WD 640GB AAKS (one of the fastest 7200rpm drives), or get 1 150/300GB Velociraptor. Use your other PCs for data storage, and network them for easy access.

Back