• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q-Pro: Can't set memory 1:1??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ellessone

Registered
What the hell? Memory reads 3:2 in CPU-Z and in BIOS I can set the FSB : DRAM value to 400, but then my choices for RAM frequency are like 502 MHz and 798 MHz and then it won't POST. Likewise, if I set the RAM to 800 MHz, it won't show a 400MHz setting for the FSB : DRAM value. Something isn't jiving here and I know this is a VERY simple fix I just can't grasp it for some reason. If you guys need screens of the BIOS or CPU-Z please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

P5Q pro
Q6600
OCZ - SLI Ready DDR 800

Adjusting the strap may be worth a try. Dunno if it would affect the ram divider per se, but my P5Q is ridiculously sensitive when it comes to the strap. I have to set it to Auto, otherwise my rig won't POST, no matter what ram ratio or timings I set.

Please post up some ss's.

BIOS & CPU-Z (1st tab) & CPU-Z (memory tab).

Attached screenshots, thanks again for your help, rather frustrating. . .

CPU-Z-CPU.jpg

CPU-Z-Memory.jpg

So if I set the strap to 400 MHz, then DDR800 is no longer an option. . this is what I want in order for it to run @ 1:1, right?

BIOS2.jpg

On this last one, if I pick 400 MHz, it forces the RAM to 798 MHz and it doesn't POST.

BIOS3.jpg

Best way I've figured out is to change the strap and then adjust the DRAM frequency for each strap and find the one closest to your spec.

First change AI Overclock Tuner to manual. You haven't OC'd your CPU yet at all. Your FSB is running at 266, and running 1:1 means your RAM would be running 533 which is the lowest setting in the DRAM Freq menu.

I think you've misunderstood what running 1:1 is all about. 1:1 is not better than any other ratio. In fact 1:1 is usually the most relaxed setting. Its purpose is to make it easier to OC the CPU, and FSB. Knowing that the RAM is not getting in the way makes it easier to understand what to do while OCing the CPU/FSB.

Tweaking out the RAM is best done after you've reached a stable CPU/FSB speed. Then you can experiment w/ other ratios and tighter timings to see what gives the best performance.

If you do not OC the CPU then there is really no reason to try to tweak the RAM at all, as most tangible performance increases come from higher CPU speeds, and higher RAM speeds do very little for real-world performance.

If you don't plan on OCing the CPU just set the DRAM freq to whatever your RAM is spec'd at, and also manually set the timings, and RAM voltage to spec, and be done w/ it.

Back