• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EP45-UD3R == :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xptical

Registered
Hi all,

I have some bad experiences with my new MoBo.

First off, it will sometimes hang before the BIOS when rebooting. I have to power the system off and restart it to get it to boot.

Second, it seems to be ignoring any attempt to overclock. I have locked the PCI to 100mhz. I have manually set the RAM to 5-5-5-12 and (G)MCH to 400mhz. Performance Enhance is standard.

SMM is set to auto right now. None of the other settings (2.00D, 2.66D, 3.33D) seem to give me the right frequency (400mhz?) in CPU-Z.

The settings above all seem to work just fine. However, any attempt to adjust the CPU frequency results in a system hang, or a reboot that completely ignores any setting. I'll have it set to 400MHZ and it'll reboot fine, but still report 333*9.

Oh, this is using a E8400 45nm Core 2 Duo. Running the F4 (latest) bios revision.

I have not tried the Gigabyte overclocking tool for Vista yet.

Oh, one other thing, disabling EIST in the BIOS and CPU-Z still reports the processor stepping back to 2ghz. I'm running Vista SP1

I've seen others are using the 2.00D setting. I guess it locks the RAM to the FSB somehow? Now CPU-Z shows a 333FSB, a 1:1 FSB: DRAM, and a 333MHZ DRAM frequency.

Still, any touch on the 333FSB is ignored. I even tried setting something like 334 or 335; all the way up to 350. It's all ignored and sticks at 333.

There's no need to create a new post each time you decide to add something to your original thread, instead just use the Edit button located directly under your original post.

Okay, here are the M.I.T settings. If you need the other settings, let me know.

Code:
MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster = AUTO
CPU Clock Ratio = 9X
Fine CPU Clock Ratio = +0.0
CPU Frequency = 3.00GHz (333x9)
CPU Host Clock Control = DISABLED
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) = 333
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) = 100
C.I.A.2 = DISABLED

Advanced Clok Control
CPU Clock Drive = 800mV
PCI Express Clock Drive = 900mV
CPU Clock Skew = 0ps
MCH Clock Skew = 0ps

Performance Enhance = STANDARD
(G)MCH Frequency Latch = 400mhz
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) = AUTO
Memory Frequency (Mhz) = 800 800
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) = MANUAL
CAS Latency = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 12

Load-Line Calibration = ENABLED
CPU Vcore = AUTO
CPU Termination = AUTO
CPU PLL = AUTO
CPU Reference = AUTO
   MCH/ICH
MCH Core = AUTO
MCH Reference = AUTO
MCH/DRAM Reference = AUTO
ICH I/O = AUTO
ICH Core = AUTO
   DRAM
DRAM Voltage = AUTO
DRAM Termination = AUTO
Channel A Reference = AUTO
Channel B Reference = AUTO

Those BIOS settings are very different from my GA-X48T. The top half is exactly the same, most of everything from LLC down is like reading greek. I'm afraid I have no idea what to set those voltages and switches to. I know there are quite a few guys running GA P45 boards on these forums, be patient.

For the part I can help you with, you might want to try these settings:
Code:
MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster = [COLOR="Red"]TURBO[/COLOR]
CPU Clock Ratio = 9X
Fine CPU Clock Ratio = +0.0
CPU Frequency = 3.00GHz (333x9)
CPU Host Clock Control = [COLOR="Red"]ENABLED[/COLOR]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) = 333
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) = 100
C.I.A.2 = DISABLED

Advanced Clok Control
CPU Clock Drive = 800mV
PCI Express Clock Drive = 900mV
CPU Clock Skew = 0ps
MCH Clock Skew = 0ps

Performance Enhance = STANDARD
(G)MCH Frequency Latch = [COLOR="Red"]333mhz[/COLOR]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) = [COLOR="Red"]2.00D, 2.40B, 3.20B[/COLOR]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) = [COLOR="Red"]667, 800, 1066[/COLOR]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) = MANUAL
CAS Latency = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 12

You'll have to get some voltage/skew/REF values to try for CPU and MCH from someone who knows that board/bios.

I don't see a Performance Level setting. Do you have one? Static Read Delay, whatever it's called in different bios, you should have something like that.
Also, I don't see your Command Rate setting. I know my f5d BIOS will default the command rate to 1T, which will screw you every time if you don't know to look for it. Make sure that is set to 2T for now.

Last edited:
I haven't even gotten to voltages yet. If I touch the FSB setting at all, the system just ignores it and boots at 333mhz.

Have you Host Clock Control to Enabled? I noticed it was disabled in your BIOS settings.

It's disabled at the moment because I wanted to try the EasyTune 6 software. That didn't work either.

If I enable Host Clock Control and then set it to 333, it works fine. If I change it to anything other than 333, it will still boot, but it boots at 333. It's like the motherboard is ignoring that setting.

When you say it boots, is it booting right away? Or does is shut down once before POSTing then POST and Boot? Because that is what will happen. It will try the new BIOS settings, if it doesn't like them it will shut down before it even hits the POST stage. Once, maybe twice, then it will POST and BOOT with safe settings. In your case that will be 333MHz. In my case with the Q6600 it was 266, with my Q9550 it is 333. If this is the case, the most likely culprit is that your voltages need a bit of a boost too.

Focus on bumping up your Vcore - Bump it up a few notches, shouldn't take much.

CPU PLL - Stay below 1.9V http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157875

CPU Termination(VTT) - Stay below 1.65V http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/126146-what-fsb-termination-voltage.html
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=233193

MCH Voltage - Shouldn't need anything over 1.3V from experience with x48. Not sure what it's gonna take you but it shouldn't be much more than a few notches up.

DRAM Voltage - I assume since you are running DDR2 that this voltage should be 2-2.1V. Set that in BIOS instead of AUTO.

Other than that, you are not attempting a gigantic overclock here. You really shouldn't have to mess with Reference values, but then this is a rather complex BIOS and I haven't played with it.

Second, it seems to be ignoring any attempt to overclock.
&
I haven't even gotten to voltages yet. If I touch the FSB setting at all, the system just ignores it and boots at 333mhz.
It's doing that because the bios settings you have have caused instability.

What ram are you using ?
leaving it on auto ram means ist's running at 1.8v most ram runs at 2v+ that alone may be the main issue.

CPU Pll on a wolfdale keep below 1.7v running at near enough stock you don't need to touch it.

Hey Shanks. Good to see you again. Your advice in the X48T thread over at XS helped me out alot in the early days.

I mentioned the RAM voltage above, and totally agree that it could be the lone problem. The same thing happened to me with the f5d bios on this X48T switching the command rate to 1T by default. I couldn't overclock this thing 1MHz until I found that problem. Regardless, in this case, upping an 8400 such a small amount should not be this hard.

@baditude_df
I can't really say what it's doing on boot. Back in the day, boards would just refuse to boot. You'd move a jumper to clear CMOS and then try again. These new-fangled boards are quirky.

If I set everything to defaults and then reboot, it'll reboot just fine with no issues.

If I touch the FSB, then sometimes it'll refuse to POST. Other times, it'll post and boot just fine, but when I reboot, it'll refuse to POST the second time. Sometimes, it'll POST and boot perfectly and CPU-Z will still show the original FSB.

I know that overclocking requires a voltage pump at some point. But if I do 334, I would expect it to work without issues. I mean, 1 frickin' megahurts should be okay; right?

I'm using no-name memory; DDR2-800 PC6400 memory. Normally, I'd suspect memory of stopping an overclock. But the way I understand it, overclocking the bus and then dropping the memory to a 2 multiplier is actually lowering the strain on the memory. Right?

GMCH latch is 400mhz. WTF is that?
SMM is 2.00D. That's a 2 multiplier on the 333 bus giving 666MHz.

So, with a FSB of 334, the memory would be running at 668. But the system still boots at 333.

I'll try upping voltages later tonight. I'll go with the upper limits of safe that you outlined above; 2V on the DRAM and 1.9V on the CPU.

Your RAM voltage should be indicated on the RAM itself. It should be 2 or 2.1v default.
1.7v for CPU PLL as per SuperShanks.
1.3-1.4v for VCore to stay safe and ensure enough for an overclock. Shouldn't need to go above that. Then bump down to find your lowest stable voltage to help keep the heat down.

The gMCH latch looks like it's the strap. 266,333,400. That should change or be changed as you pass certain FSB frequencies during your overclock.

The strap used to change automatically on P965 and earlier, but w/ the added setting comes the ability to change it as you see fit. It refers to a set of timings on the NB. Just like RAM the NB can run tighter timings at lower speeds, and upping the voltage can allow tighter timings at higher speeds. Its like having RAM that can run 800 4-4-4-12, and 1000 5-5-5-15, and w/ a little extra voltage you are able to push 1000 4-4-4-12. Here you are running at the higher speed, but using timings from the lower speed which are tighter. Same thing w/ the NB.

The 400 strap is the loosest strap. Selecting the 333 strap means better bandwidth across the NB, but could mean instability if the FSB is too high, or needs more voltage. If you can get the 266 strap to run you'll be in even better shape. I haven't ever been able to get the 200 strap to run...but I never tried real hard.

Its best to find a good CPU and FSB speed first w/ a loose strap, and tighten it up later if the system lets you. A lot of times the strap selection will limit the available RAM dividers, so RAM tweaking goes hand-in-hand w/ strap tweaking....both an afterthought to CPU/FSB tweaking

I'm sure that was a great blurb. But I'm so far behind the game (last OC was of NFORCE board with AMD X2 proc several years ago) that it makes no sense to me.

For SMM, I have the following:

2.00B
2.40B
3.20B
4.00B

2.00D
2.66D
3.33D

2.66C
3.33C
4.00C

2.50A
3.00A
4.00A

It further goes on to say that:

x.xxA works on a 266MHZ FSB
x.xxB works on a 333MHZ FSB
x.xxC works on a 200MHZ FSB
x.xxD works on a 400MHZ FSB

My "memory frequency is listed as two values. The default is 800 800. I don't know why two values.

Can you guys break this down for an oldie like me? How is 4.00A different from 4.00D? Things like that bother me...

Back