• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier keeps chaning..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nail Bomb

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 in an DFI LP JR P45-T2RS LGA 775 mother board. I also have mushkin REDLINE 2GB DDR2 DDR2 1000 memory in my board

I set the voltage for the memory at the correct setting, then i put the FSB to 390

well 390X10 should yeild 3900ghz but for some reason the multiplier keeps changing from 10x to 6x in CPU-Z setting the CPU back to 2343

does anyone know whats happening? and how i fix/change this? this is really starting to make me :bang head:

Yep, this is normal behavior. You need to find the C1E and the EIST settings in your BIOS and turn them off / disable them. They are power saving functions, and when you aren't using the chip as much, they kick in to save power. They aren't a real problem, as under load it does kick up to the faster settings, but a lot of us turn them off as a matter of course.

I'd say welcome to the forums but I see you've been here since 05. Welcome back then! :welcome:

Don't be a stranger!

Yep, this is normal behavior. You need to find the C1E and the EIST settings in your BIOS and turn them off / disable them. They are power saving functions, and when you aren't using the chip as much, they kick in to save power. They aren't a real problem, as under load it does kick up to the faster settings, but a lot of us turn them off as a matter of course.

I'd say welcome to the forums but I see you've been here since 05. Welcome back then! :welcome:

Don't be a stranger!

ditto that one.

its standard behavior. I wouldn't worry about it. if its really bothering you, you can do like torin suggested and just switch EIST off in your BIOS.

Even if I switch EIST off in the BIOS, Vista-32 SP1 still scales the frequency back for me. I don't know why...

Even if I switch EIST off in the BIOS, Vista-32 SP1 still scales the frequency back for me. I don't know why...

C1E and E1ST need to be disabled for it to not do that. It's called Speedstep. It's fine either way, some like it on, some like it off; personally, I like it off so my OC stays the same idle or load.

Back