• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 looking for a good home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I shorted my IP35 Pro yesterday when plugging a fan in and I was in too big of a hurry to think about unplugging it. Never again will I work on my PC in such haste. Anyhow, does anyone recommend a different board or should I still stick to my IP35 Pro? It's still under warranty but being my fault, I suppose paying Abit to fix it would be out of the question, right? From what I read, they don't fix it if it shows any sign of physical damage.

Too bad, I hate seeing PC parts go to waste when someone there could fix it easily and cheaply. I'm all for recycling technology. But for punishment, I've had to defer myself to a machine that considers even Firefox a burden and is a veteran of the great .com bubble bursting of 2000. Meeting up with Windows 98 again is both sweet and sour.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Asus P5Q Pro unless someone has any other recommendations.

Silly me though, I purchased Vista x64 Ultimate OEM edition. From what I read via google, I can legally use my copy of Vista OEM on a new model of motherboard, correct?

Thanks. I think I'll go with the Asus P5Q Pro unless someone has any other recommendations.

Silly me though, I purchased Vista x64 Ultimate OEM edition. From what I read via google, I can legally use my copy of Vista OEM on a new model of motherboard, correct?

AFAIK, Oem can only be used on the same board. So you could get annother IP35 and be legal, but Vista probably will complain on a new board when you try to activate.. Im not 100% on that though.

Thanks. I suppose I'll get the P45. It seems a better board and it's even cheaper than the IP35 Pro. If I can't reactivate, I'll just switch back to XP anyway.

reactivating is easy, just activate by phone and it'll ask you to put in some numbers

It wasn't exactly easy for me! Just did it today after getting new P45 board and it was a long phone process of about 40 minutes due to no internet/phone activation..but it got done and was definitely worth it!

good luck with your new board!

An Asus P5Q Pro here, and no complaints. Really great for OCing, and has lots of additional features if you want them, like energy-savings stuff, eSATA ports, 8 channel audio, etc. It's really nice.

Looks like I won't have to change my sig or re-activate. In a last ditch effort, I got out my soldering iron to try to bridge a visibly fried circuit on the PCB. After that, I got another post error, 7F, and done a hard CMOS reset and it all seems functional except that one fan plug. No worry with this board though, it's got plenty of on-board fan plugs. But still, thanks for the recommendations guys. I came about a click away from ordering a new board.

Back