• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acceptable "safe" voltage levels for P45 chipset on the NB and FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

In the cpu section sticky under how to overclock quad cores the poster mentions that anything above 1.4v for the Vtt on the P45 chipset is "at your own risk". How much of a life loss are we talking about if we are at this point that it becomes that much of a risk?

Also what is the safe levels for the NB voltage?

I'm wanting to keep my system for a good 2-3 years which is why I'm asking and I do understand that increasing voltage lowers the life of the specifics components. However I would like to know from experienced users of how much of a life loss I'll be expecting if I am at the "Safe Levels" compared to such levels that are risky?

Thanks

How much of a life loss? It's impossible to say for sure how much of a CPU's life will be lost due to out of spec. vNB and VTT. I can tell you that Intel spec's the absolute maximum VTT (FSB Term. Voltage) at 1.45v, and not 1.4v for a 45nm quad (this same spec. also applies to the 45nm dual cores).

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9000¹ Series and Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9000¹ and Q8000¹ Series Datasheet
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318726.pdf

And in as far as vNB (vMCH), Intels' rated spec is 1.21V Max (table 46)...

Intel 4 Series Chipset Family Datasheet
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319970.pdf

... although some board manufacturers set the minimum vNB to 1.25v. So it's really a matter as to what voltage you feel comfortable with applying to the vNB for a decent OC. My suggestion would be to apply no more than 1.35 - 1.4 vMCH w/ a 45nm quad on the P45 chipset.

Last edited:
p45 should not need any NB juice adjustment until you get to ~500 The asus p45 deluxe mobo only needed 1.4v to hit 650MHz. ymmv of course.

As NM said, you need little vMCH unless you hit FSB above 550 on a duallie, for a quad you'll need up to 1.3-1/35 at 450 and above FSB. If you x-fire you'll need some as well.

For intsnace I run an E8600 at 9 x 500 with 1.15v on MCH. The smaller NB die on the P45 makes it sensitive to high voltage plus 45nm chips in itself do not require such high NB voltage, hence one of the reasons why the P45 was brought to light.

Same goes for FSB voltage as well

Hope this helps answering the question?

Does that mean the P45 is better suit to a 45nm processor and can't achieve full potential with a 65nm quad core Kentfield?

Back