• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS causing lockup problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I'm having lockup problems and someone suggested in another thread that if your +5V line is reading below 5, it could be a problem. Here are my power readings.

Vcore (1.74)
VCC 2.5V (2.48)
3.3V (3.26)
+5V (4.91-4.99)
+12V (11.71-11.77)
+5VSB (4.91-4.94)

Is there anything there that could be causing my lockups?

---
Athlon XP 1600+, no overclock
Soyo Dragon+ mobo
VisionTek Geforce 3 Ti 200, no overclock
512 MB Crucial DDR
IBM 40 GB 7200rpm hard drive
Plextor 24/10/40 cdrw
Pioneer 32x cdrom
onboard sound
onboard lan
2 case fans, 1 cpu fan, 1 ps fan
alpha 8045 heatsink
latest video drivers
latest mobo bios
latest via 4in1 drivers

If those voltages are what you see under load, then they should not be the source of your problems. The issue with random lockups is that there are many variables that can contribute to them. Ferreting out the actual cause can be time consuming.

Good Luck

Hoot

Jeez, +3.3, +5 and +12 all look a bit low. You ain't overclocking nothin', and yes it could be causing trouble.
I've seen 5v rails like that, with no obvious difficulties, but the 12v and 3.3v are a bit unknown. I thought 12v was only used for driving motors, so it shouldn't matter that much.

Maybe try whipping out the Pioneer CD temporarily, and see what happens.

Not really a power issue(maybe it is, I dunno), but I just swapped out my geforce 3 and installed my old tnt. I reinstalled the latest detonator drivers and rebooted the computer. Instead of booting up, the system did nothing. I used to have that problem before I upgrade my mobo, cpu, ram, etc. Sometimes my system used to do nothing when I turned it on, sometimes it would let out a constant beep like something was very wrong, and sometimes it would boot up fine. I thought it might have been my power supply, but that problem seemed to go away when I upgraded my stuff. Anyway, when the system did nothing just now when it should have booted up, I pushed the reset button and then it started booting up but got stuck just before loading windows. I reset it again and it booted up ok this time. I'm really getting frustrated now because my problems seem to be spiralling.

Well, my system just locked up again, so the video card must not be the problem.

Back