• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from a D975XBX2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dem1an

I'm getting a squirelly stop code when trying to boot to Vista or boot from a Windows Installation DVD, even with the drives pulled. I'm starting to think it is the motherboard. I kind of want to go out and just buy another mobo and get my system going rather than waiting on Intel to ship a replacement.

The problem is that I have a ton of data I need off of my RAID 5. The Intel motherboard (D975XBX2) I think uses ICH7R. What happens if I upgrade to a newer board that uses Intel ICH10R? Will it read the old RAID data? Any experience with this?

If I can move up to another Intel chipset RAID, what board would you recommend?

My guess (and it is nothing more than a guess) would be that accessing your RAID5 array would be iffy. Hopefully I am wrong.

I'm sure you've heard this before but if you have important data, always back it up. Question isn't if something will go wrong, only when it will happen. RAID5 buys you additional protection of course (that's why you use it) but some kinda failures can still cause you problems.

I would suggest one of the P5Q motherboards, pick your favorite brand. :beer:

gotcha...let's pray that when I get my replacement mobo from intel, I can boot off the Vista Installation DVD.

Back