• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5KPL-AM, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lib319

Registered
Hello, can anyone advise on overclocking an ASUS P5KPL-AM board with bios 0409, 2 gig OCZ Platinum 800mhz ram, Pentium e5200, ATI 4670 videocard.

I’m looking to get a modest oc from the stock 2.5 to around 3 - 3.5ghz. Should I set FSB to 400 to match the ram and then lower the multiplier to about 8x or thereabouts?

I can’t see a setting for PCI-E lock on this board either, perhaps it is automatic?

Please help!

lib

:welcome:

yes raising the fsb but I wouldnt start at 400 . I go in incraments of 50fsb til no post then back to 25 fsb incraments til I get to achived , of course giving it as much voltage as you are willing to give it .

What heatsink are you using ? if its stock , overclocking is NOT recommended . If you want air cooling , I would suggest a copper cooler , it still dissapates heat better than aluminum imo .

Case airflow is another thing that goes along with overclocking cfm in/out

What are your temps currently?

you can oc on the stock cooler by not by much maybe hit 3ghz. max voltage for a 45nm cpu is in the 1.4v range depending on who you hear from. for me personally i wouldnt go over 1.45v. though temps need to be watched, with 45nm and using coretemp keep a 30c buffer to TJmax.

for starters it would be a good idea to lower the multi, go down to 10x with a 300fsb or even 333fsb. you then should be able to select a ram ratio that will keep your ram either at ddr2-800 or slightly lower or slightly higher. at 333mhz fsb the ram would be at ddr2-800 with it at 300mhz it would be slighly lower or higher depending on the ratio. if you dont see a PCIE lock then i wouldnt worry to much right now. i take it though your running a bios that officaly supports 45nm cpus?

its not a matter of a opinion copper does dissapate heat better then ALU. though ALU will absorb heat faster then copper. copper has the down side of wieghting alot more then alu. there are many hs's on the market that use heatpipes being made from copper but nickely coated attached to a nickle coated copper base with alu fins.

Back