• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board for single GPU initially, then SLI later?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PapaPup

I am building a new gaming system on which I will begin playing with overclocking for the very first time!... But I'm having trouble settling on a motherboard. I intend to use a single Nvidia card for a few months (I have never had good luck with ATI), and then duplicate it at some point to use SLI. I was looking at the 790i but it seems to be a bad choice for single GPU use. This is what I have chosen, based on research on Newegg & here:

CPU: Q9550 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 (EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP SLI)
Memory: OCZ 4GB DDR3 1800 (OCZ NVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel)
Sound: HT OMEGA CLARO+ (HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface)
Hard Drives: WD VelociRaptor x2 in RAID0 (Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s)
Motherboard:

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Extra Fans: Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan x2
CPU Cooling: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler w/Arctic Silver 5
Monitor: Dell 22" (already owned)
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (already owned)
Keyboard:
Power Supply:
CD/DVD Drive:

I am going to pick out a power supply once I have figured out the board. Any help with the board would be very appreciated! - Including recommendations to change a part or two to fit an excellent board. Also feel free to comment on anything else... although I plan to post in the general hardware forum for some comments on my final build before I buy it all. :santa2:

By the way, this is my first post here, so I gotta mention that this forum rocks!

I can't help you with an nV-based motherboard, unfortunately. And since I've already pestered someone in another thread, I'll just take a shot at a newcomer. :D

Right after the :welcome: sign of course. ;)

- Don't you ever think about getting that CPU-Cooler for a Quad. It's a nice budget cooler for Dual Cores and low power ones. But with a Quad, this thing will constantly blare at you while still being over 50°C. The OCZ Vendetta 2, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or any Noctua heatsinks are suited well better for the Q9550, which is a fine choice btw.

- While nV-based MBs tend to profit from the higher bandwidth of DDR3, most software applications and games haven't got that memo. So you're not profiting much on a S775 platform. Maybe think this over.

- If you don't SLI now, then don't do it, ever. In a few months you can already buy the GTX280s successor (either the 55nm GTX280, or the GTX300 series in ~6 months).

- You don't need to settle on a MB to choose a PSU. If you want the *best* one, get this. If you're on a budget or are reasonable (;)), chose any of the follow-ups from that article. I'd recommend the Corsair 1000HX, but an 850W PSU might be enough, even for hypothetical SLI. Can't help you there much tbh, I don't need that much power. I'm sure someone else will chime in though.

Oh, and from what I've heard, EVGA make the best nV-boards. I guess you can't go wrong with them (excellent service, warranties, customer care...).

I'll stop bickering now, the general system you want looks nice and capable. You'll certainly be able to give a Nehalem-based system a run for is money - at least gaming-wise. :beer:

fyi evga doesnt make the boards, NV has a partner that does then sells boards to EVGA/BFG/XFX...

save the money and ditch DDR3 go DDR2 paired with a 780i. if you want sli now and not getting a i7 system, nv based board is the only way. that is unless you will be ok with a single gpu till you go i7 later next year. if you wait and really want to use DDR3 get a P45 based board, you can get P45 board with either DDR2 or DDR3 slots and both.

Thanks for the info!

I am torn about the i7... it may be a bit risky until the kinks are worked out, and prices will drop on all the now-outdated stuff. Generally I try to avoid brand new technologies since they're so overpriced.

Is there any compelling reason to not go with a 790i with DDR3 memory, and a single GPU such as a GTX 260 or 280 at first... and then later upgrading that setup with a second GPU?

fyi evga doesnt make the boards, NV has a partner that does then sells boards to EVGA/BFG/XFX...
You are right, boards with the nVidia standard layout are manufactured by them and then distributed to their retail partners. However, custom PCB designs are made by the retail partner themselves and I was under the impression that EVGA's FTW series was a unique design.
I should have probably said "provide" instead of "make", seeing that I also meant the non-board specific qualities like warranty and customer service, BIOS updates etc. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info!
Is there any compelling reason to not go with a 790i with DDR3 memory, and a single GPU such as a GTX 260 or 280 at first... and then later upgrading that setup with a second GPU?

Because "later", you'll be able to get a single new GPU that is faster than the SLI option you then would have, being:
(either the 55nm GTX200s in dec/jan, or the GTX300 series in ~6 months)

And DDR3 just doesn't translate into any real world advantage on a S775 system that would be worth the price difference. And buying DDR3 now for eventual use in a Nehalem system is shortsighted, because you can get improved and new chips in a year for ~1/2 the price.

right FTW line was not a NV oem design but 90% of the boards offered from evga are OEM designed boards.

the only way DDR3 is a way to go is for extreme clocker or people with just money to burn. DDR3 offerers the chance to reach higher fsb speeds when using a 1:1 then DDR2. though we do have the issue with intel based DDR3 boards not reaching a certian speed, from the sounds of things it is the memory controller on the board.

Thanks guys! I have been doing more reading, and it appears that what it comes down to is that SLI / Crossfire is a way for people to increase performance using existing technology.. but when newer card models come out it is generally better to have one of those than two of the older models?

Given the problems I have been reading about with the nVidia boards, I think I will go with one GTX 260 or 280 and then either a P45 or X48. It also sounds like DDR2 is the way to go. All of this jives with my feeling that it's never a good investment to spend all out on brand new technology (e.g. two cutting edge GPU's to justify doing SLI, DDR3).

Now to decide between those boards!!

[edit] I have settled on the X48, because you really do get what you pay for... I have had bad experiences with inexpensive boards in the past. Also I am going with a better CPU heatsink as you suggested Alastayr... and a Corsair 750W power supply.

Last edited:
An X48 board really is a nice investment. Especially since you'll be using a Quad on it. The Corsair 750TX is a fine piece of PSU, I like it.

A single GTX will go a long way. If you're not partial to nVidia GPUs, check out the HD4870 or the HD4850X2 (by Sapphire), which are the GTX260 and GTX280's respective counterparts. Saved cash is always good for a few :beer:.

Back