• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a problem with my P5Q Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

Apparently the closest slot on channel B has gone bad from the factory which is why I can't seem to have any sort of stable clocks at even a high ram latency like 6-6-6-18. I have ran each stick in memtest for 1 hour on the closest slot on channel A to see if it was the sticks and they passed without any errors. However when I put the same sticks on Channel B they error within the first few minutes. It's about the same amount of time Intel Burn Test would report an error since I always set that for maximum memory.

All the specs in the sig are current. The ram has a range of 2.0-2.1 which I have tried both with no luck. I'm not going to lower the FSB if that's the only way to deal with it. I don't have any ram in the house that can run at this speed but, judging by the success of chan A with 1 stick vs chan B using the same stick with errors then I'm quite certain chan B has a malfunction.

My only question is this... If I bring up the matter to Asus then considering I have overclocked the system to reach 900mhz for a single channel then will that cause any conflicting with any warranty contract? I have read their warranty page and it does not state anywhere about void if overclocked?

This may be silly but I am asking the question here and not Asus support only because their site is very slow.

What are voltages like vNB (MCH) and FSB Term. Voltage set to? Have you tried changing the DRAM CLK Skew settings, or tried altering any of the RAM timings (including sub-timings and increasing Common Performance Level)?

The voltages are stated in the sig for FSB, NB, Ram.

I shouldn't have to do any of that since my ram is rated for much lower timings then what I tested them at which they do work successfully on chan A but, not B. I am running my ram slower at 450mhz than factory specs which is 500mhz. Timings are again 6-6-6-18 vs factory being 5-5-5-15. I am only running the ram at 6-6-6-18 fir testing purposes. I have tested the ram at 5-5-5-15 and they run fine at 900mhz. It is only when I use CHan B is when I get instability.

I have altered AI Transaction to manual for the performance mode like you asked and I can only get it to boot while at performance mode 10. All the other levels dont boot even when i increase or decrease NB voltage.

Does increasing the NB voltage compensate for most failures do to NB latencies?

Last edited:
no increasing the nb voltage will not compensate for failures due to nb latencies, it only helps when tring to reach high fsb's.

if the dimm slots were bad from the get go rma the board that simple, oced or not. ocing didnt effect the dimm slot being dead out the box.

Its true ocing didn't affect the slot out of the box. I never implied that it did. However I am running the board beyond spec which is a quality I recognized to be faulty but, not at stock specification. To me that wouldn't merit the companies time and money for an exchange but if this isn't a stipulation since I didn't see anything on their warranty then I will probably do it if need be.

if they wanted to make sure you knew the warrenty was void if you oced on the board. they would have put it in with the warrenty info but that doesnt matter. the slot was bad out of the box so that voids anything they might try to say about you ocing on it.

What I'm getting at is that the slot works fine at stock speeds. It is only when I am going beyond spec that it shows a sign of instability. That to me was the questioning factor.

then i must have miss read what you were tring to say.... sorry

have you then tried the other set of slots to see if the same thing happens?

I havent tried the other slots only because I was thinking they could lower performance but then again by how much. Ill give that a shot and see if it works.

Back