• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I "jump" the FSB hole? P5N-E SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

footclan

Hi.

I'm fairly new to OCing. I managed to get my e4500 2.20 to 3ghz stable no problem using 272 FSB and CPU multiplier 11.

I've been messing around and was trying to get my FSB to DRAM a 1:1 ratio. Since I knew it was stable at 3, I tried for a FSB of 400 with a CPU multi of 7 = 2.8GHZ and it didn't work.

I've heard of a FSB hole with this board, so my question is how do I get past it?
Higher the NB voltage? Right now I have it at 1.393V.

Also, what is the best tool for monitoring voltages? While my BIOS says 1.393V for NB, everest under it says NB properties it's 1.25V

For my CPU my BIOS Vcore is set to 1.27500V
Everest says 1.325V
CPU Z says 1.472V
and Speedfan says Vcore 1 = 1.39V and Vcore 2 at 3.36V

Mobo - P5N-E SLI
CPU - E4500 @ 3GHZ
CPU cooler - Scythe Infinity
Ram - Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) @ 800 MHZ 5-5-5-18
HDD - 500GB WD, 1 TB Seagate external

You just jump it thats all you can do. I cant oc my chip between 3.35 and 3.42 ghz. I think your board is a 680i like mine right? Seriously just bump the buss like 50mhz higher or until your stable. The sign of a fsb hole on either end is bad stability and in the middle of the hole my board wont even post so just keep rasing the fsb till you can post. Also diffrent asus bios's have diffrent holes on the same board i. I use the my bios version becuase the hole is so low on the fsb. I wouldnt even condisder clocking my cpu that low so it has no factor on me, some of there bioses have the hole in the 480-500mhz range wich is more of a pain in the a**.

Basically asus boards are picky cruse the asus forum for your mobo and figure out what bios everyone is using to clock with. Also make sure the have somehwat of the same cpu one bios will handel wolfdales better while another clockes conroe alot better.

My board is a 650i and I have from what I've read is the most stable bios for this board. You were saying you couldn't get it running between 3.35 and 3.42. I gradually worked my way up to 3, so i hit 2.8 along the way and it's just with the FSb at 400 or so it won't post. Will raising NB voltage not help? And any answers for my voltage monitoring questions>

:welcome:, :welcome: to the forum.

Give your CPU a little more voltage (you may drop it back later), unlink the memory (and set it at a reasonable speed, you can change later) and then increase the FSB (try 420 or 425). A lower FSB might work but the first thing to do is make sure jump the hole. :beer:

Yea my memory is unlinked. I'll give it a try thanks. So what does the NB voltage do then? Is it just for ram?

NB should be fine. If you're really pushing the memory to a high speed then you might have to increase the NB but in this case you should be fine.

So last night I ended up getting my pc stable at 3.3. I can't remember (not at home) the voltage but I didn't up it that much and my FSB is at 300.

Now the hole is there for sure. No matter what voltage I've tried up to 1.5 it will not post above 1200. I 've tried "jumping" it by skipping to 1300, through to 1600 all with cranked and varying voltages and it won't post. I'm using BIOS 0608 btw.

The second I tried raising the NB 1 notch it boots and can go into windows, but unstable. So I'm going to have to lower the voltages to see what works and what doesn't and I'm also waiting on a NB cooler.

That's progress!

You might give CPU VTT a little more voltage too. A little more voltage to the NB might also help. As you increase the FSB, communication through the NB to memory increase the stress on it. :beer:

Back