• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can phase be used as the primary cooling for a 24/7 PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I should know this, but most people that do phase do so for benching. I'm planning a i7 set up and I've heard it described as a "burning fireball from Hell." Seems phase cooling is in order, but I'm not setting up a benching PC. This will be my primary PC and will probably be on 24/7. Before I start a build or have someone build me a unit, I'd like to make sure this is even feasible.

OK then. I'm looking to keep the CPU load temp somewhere between 0°C - 30°C. Could I do this with a chiller or must I go SS? The i7 is too new, so I do not know the heat output at load just yet. Still waiting on more reviews. All I know is that it is hot. I am really partial to chillers and would rather go that route unless it will require exotic coolants (I would use 90%/10% alcohol/water).

A chiller would do fine for that temperature range. It's not really that much hotter than a Yorkfield. A touch more maybe, but nothing that dramatic. 250W is probably about the highest it'll get for most.

yeah, my next build will be around a 24/7 single stage. let us know who builds it if you go that route... i'm probably going to have jin build mine because he comes highly recommended, and we're both in CA

I don't know if phase change is worth it with Core i7 though. Seems you can get ~4GHz to 4.2GHz stable with the Core i7 920 on air cooling. It won't go much higher than that though due to the bclk limitation. Core i7 940 will get you another 200MHz so maybe 4500MHz? Then you jump to the 965 which will only gain you another 150MHz to 200MHz on SS so 4700MHz. So you end up doubling power consumption for a very modest performance increase. Hate to rain on your parade but unless you have power to burn it might not be the optimal route. Just giving you an idea of what you could gain, it's kind of depressing.

gomeler, are you saying that SS builds are better suited for 775 still? would you recommend a cpu for a 24/7 SS build? PM me if i'm sending this thread too far off topic

cheers

well I'd take an e8600 on a snglestage over a core i7. Should be able to do 5ghz to 5.2ghz if not higher. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to do really. E8600on ss for gaming or core i7 on water for data crunching.

Overclocking is actually low on my list of priorities. I need something fast, powerful and stable. I'll be doing number crunching and want to get started in game development. I want to try to push the new processor to its limits via software.

?
Not sure why you need phase cooling to run that at stock speeds and volts, even at 100% load 24/7.

But if you are doing it just to do it, that's cool too.

?
Not sure why you need phase cooling to run that at stock speeds and volts, even at 100% load 24/7.

But if you are doing it just to do it, that's cool too.

I said overclocking was low on the list, not off the list. ;) Apart from that, phase is more stable in the long term and I want to build my own phase unit. I could do air or water, but this is much more interesting and it will allow to push the system to extremes that air and water cannot.

Overclocking is actually low on my list of priorities. I need something fast, powerful and stable. I'll be doing number crunching and want to get started in game development. I want to try to push the new processor to its limits via software.

Huh? Please tell me you are not overclocking via software?

Unless you mean you want to use it to its full potential by making it slave over endless hours of software tasks?

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in running phase at stock speeds. Unless you live within 10 miles of the earth's core. In summer.

Huh? Please tell me you are not overclocking via software?

Unless you mean you want to use it to its full potential by making it slave over endless hours of software tasks?

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in running phase at stock speeds. Unless you live within 10 miles of the earth's core. In summer.

Overclocking via software?:-/ Uh... No.

I'm curious... Why does everyone need to know the details? The question was answered and this is the route I'm taking. It will provide me with a powerful and future-proof system that I can overclock and just otherwise play with to my heart's content. Any other reasons needed?

Overclocking via software?:-/ Uh... No.

I'm curious... Why does everyone need to know the details? The question was answered and this is the route I'm taking. It will provide me with a powerful and future-proof system that I can overclock and just otherwise play with to my heart's content. Any other reasons needed?

Agreed:clap:

sorry... no system is future proof ... maybe 6 months furture proof but not very much longer after that ... i usually upgrade every 6 months ... as for why you're using phase is beyond me ... i have a qx9650 but even before this i had a q6600 on stock heatsink i used for creating visual effects and 3d animation via after effects and 3d studio max .... if you want to preform better in these i'd highly suggest more ram than oc-ing a cpu , phase only makes sense if you're benching , if you're not then water/air work just fine and get the temps you want ... they're also way less risky if you're planning on using this 24/7 for work ... phase in not the way to go

Back