• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to i7 processor, stuck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krzysd

Registered
wanna get the i7 2.66ghz since im cheap, and im stuck on what mobo to get, should i stick with asus or should i go with intel?!

currently system is:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Radeon HD 2900XT 1GB 512-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16

like the asus mobo but ive had to rma it, soooo help me out.
i would like to use the same memory and same video card for now.

The Intel board OCed quite well in a test i saw, but it has no IDE floppy or PS2, and its the only one without 6 RAM slots.

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 or Asus P6T-Deluxe both look good at acceptable prices, the UD5 being the cheapest of the two. Im also cheap (as far as "cheap" can be said for any X58 boards) so i ordered the UD5. Was looking at GA-EX58-DS4 also and while it does cost less it doesnt support SLI, and i believe Crossfire will run at x16+x8.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/WebPage/mb_081027_x58/data/tech_081027_x58_models.htm

I just ordered the Asus P6T Deluxe because it supposedly gives you the ability to switch overclocking options from within Windows, kind of like you can do with Abit uguru. Since 95% of my computer time is boring stuff that takes little processor power, I think it's great to be able to push a button, overclock the CPU, and start the game or flight sim of my choice. Why burn up extra electricity and generate heat at top OC speed during those times you're not gaming?

well here are the configs that can be setup on X58 boards. just cause the lower one doesnt support SLI doesnt mean the lanes are lower for CF. prolly just mean Gigabyte didnt want to pay to have another all intel board approved for SLI.

Attachments

• x58 diagram.JPG
    x58 diagram.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 273
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/WebPage/mb_081027_x58/data/tech_081027_x58_models.htm

Maybe the second PCIe slots lanes arent shared with the third on the DS4, since they wrote it like that it could be that its always running at x8.

Papafox, hope to see some impressive results from you then =) I dont have too high hopes that i7 will give very much higher framerates, but i am quite sure it will allow for respectable higher quality settings at acceptable framerates. Will have my i7 920 up and running in 13-14 hours but FSX and Windows maybe not before some time this weekend.

Back