• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum memory voltage supported by X58

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I've been thinking about upgrading. Sell my qx9770 and grab the 965, and call in evga for motherboard step up. But memory, i don't know what to do about. I got some high voltaged dd3. I have corsair XMS3 DHX rated at 1.8v when running at 1600mhz. what do you suppose i should do? sell the ram to and grab new pair, i mean a three-stick set.

I have been toying with a similar dilemma. I have 2 x 2 G DDR3 sticks, but need a single to go TRI.

You are probably better off buying another 4G kit and selling the single here. HINT HINT.

:beer:

Why would you want to? The benefits of Tri Channel over Dual are negligible and don't warrant an upgrade in itself, unless the sticks need too much voltage.

Just use what you got. Intel has said 1.65v, but I've read elsewhere that higher voltages are fine as long as you keep your voltages w/n a certain range of each other.

At any rate you could probably run those sticks w/ less voltage at a lower speed (or just loosened timings), and still have way more bandwidth than you have now.

Just use what you got. Intel has said 1.65v, but I've read elsewhere that higher voltages are fine as long as you keep your voltages w/n a certain range of each other.

At any rate you could probably run those sticks w/ less voltage at a lower speed (or just loosened timings), and still have way more bandwidth than you have now.

can you provide me with some links so i can understand better.

Getting back to that 1.65V warning, Intel is quite serious about this voltage level and is ensuring the board manufacturers remind the users in a variety of ways ranging from statements in the user manuals to various BIOS warnings when changing VDimm above 1.65V. We have been running exhaustive tests at various voltages and firmly believe that if VCore, QPI/IMC Voltage, and VDimm are properly aligned, that running VDimm up to 1.80V should be acceptable with proper cooling and non 24/7 operation. Of course that is not a promise, but we will have additional results shortly.

Anandtech link

Core i7 can tolerate up to 1.55V without major damage. Surprisingly higher than Penryn's 1.45V. That's a lot of overhead, with that much voltage you can crank something like 4.5 GHz out of the cpu. Whether you can keep that cool is another question.

The maximum VTT voltage is 1.35V (for the UNCORE portion of the processor)
The maximum VDIMM voltage 1.875V
The maximum VPLL voltage is 1.89V

Source

it will work with 1.8v, but high chance of damaging the processor?

yes, because that voltage will reach the cpu. since the memory controller is now in the cpu.

we still have to worry about power leakage from one area to another in the cpu.

According to some sources as long as you keep the VTT and VDIMM within 0.5v of each other it should not damage the CPU, it is all about balancing the voltages and keeping the variances low, time will tell I guess.

So the max voltage for memory (lets call it VDIMM) is 1.75, officially. I have
tried 1.8 without a visible damage and system was still running. The DIMMs
however were very hot to the touch, too hot for comfort. After overclocking
the CPU was still ok. Now, if we are talking CPU overclock + mem oc, then it
might be a different story. The official numbers for CPU is stock+25% and
memory at 1.75V to operate safely. After that... who knows what might
happen. Voltage feed for CPU is separated from voltage feed of mem
controller (there are some connections but for our porposes I think they are
insignificant) but there are comparator parts that monitor the differences
in the two values to make changes to the CPU (in this context I mean entire
die) operation.

Straight from the mouth of Intel there.

Ghost, thanks for that...frankly I would any day sacrifice a few sticks of RAM, I sure do not want to damage the CPU, that hits the pocket hard ;)

This for me is the most imporant piece : "Voltage feed for CPU is separated from voltage feed of mem controller (there are some connections but for our porposes I think they are
insignificant)"

I am still not willing to risk my chip even though may folks are running crazy volts up to 2.0 @ XS. I am sticking to 1.65 and below for now. I was bored at work and just for the hell of it I ordered these today
DDR3 - 2000

check out the review
review

I wont argue with that, but something bothers me about running dual channel on a tri channel board. Hell I am thinking about getting 2 of these for 24 gb of ddr3 and before you ask why : because I can:)

3x4GB DDR3 1600

I dont even know if the Rampage 2 can support 24 gig.

Well here is something for you. Look on gigabyte's recommended memory for the extreme board. Most of it is 1.9v

Thats why we put things on credit cards and pay them off at bill time so we can use the insurance is comes with to cover out overclocking madness..

Back