• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do ALL x58 MB's support SLI and X-fire? (even OEM)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

so i was discussing this at work and had a little disagreement. i was under the impression that ANY MB with the X58 chipset will support both. the computer in question is the new gateway FX tower that comes with the i7 chip (and hence an x58 MB). it comes with an ATI 4850 and a X-fire brigde in case you want to add another. but wont this board support SLI too? my friend says no, i say yes. this tower was just released yesterday so i couldnt find any concrete answers online.

anyone want to help me out? or find a link with a concrete answer?

It really depends on the model. As far as I know, all models out there currently support both with the exception of this MSI X58 Platinum which only supports CrossFire. However if you're talking about an OEM board, then it might only have native Crossfire support.

They all have X-fire, but require the SLI certification from nVidia to support SLI.

Some boards have an nForce200 chip, but it isn't required to run SLI, only the certification from nVidia.

I would think that there might be a way to hack it to run SLI if it doesn't do it natively, though.

They all have X-fire, but require the SLI certification from nVidia to support SLI.

Some boards have an nForce200 chip, but it isn't required to run SLI, only the certification from nVidia.

I would think that there might be a way to hack it to run SLI if it doesn't do it natively, though.

If it doesn't have the physical nForce200 chip, it has a key in the BIOS correct? Or how else would the drivers know to allow SLI?

Intel's standpoint on this is that nvidia is requiring the nforce 200 chip to run SLI. a little harder to break than a bios hack. Nvidia wouldnt let it happen that easy.

Intel's standpoint on this is that nvidia is requiring the nforce 200 chip to run SLI. a little harder to break than a bios hack. Nvidia wouldnt let it happen that easy.

Uhh, that was back in August. NV allows any X58 to run SLI if they pay a $5 royalty fee per board. The NV200 is going to be used for 16x/16x/16x SLI.

I don't think it has to do with the BIOS, it probably depends on the software. However, I'll bet that someone will figure out how to spoof the BIOS to identify itself as an SLI capable board.

so what about this gateway model? thats really what i want to find the answer to here

i know i miss things at times when reading threads. i saw no where, where you said what model Gateway... easy way to tell if the computer doesnt have a SLI sticker on it, it doesnt support SLI but will support CF.

well i tried to pull up suppor doc's but there dont even list that model. im gonig to have to say no its not SLI cause if it was it would have something to point it out.

well i tried to pull up suppor doc's but there dont even list that model. im gonig to have to say no its not SLI cause if it was it would have something to point it out.

Yea I would wait until they get some support documents up as I tried looking for this exact same model yesterday. The specifications document would definitely say.

Back