• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
I haven't been to a CompUSA in years, so I called them over the weekend to ask if they were still close to me. I live in Pennsylvania. The guy on the phone said.. the closest location we have to you is in Jacksonville, Florida. I was like "Huh? Are you serious!?" He said the only locations are now in Texas and Florida.

What happened to them: Newegg, BB, Tigerdirect? heh

Not that they ever carried great stuff, but before Newegg / BB got popular they seemed like a good alternative.

Oh well.. off to Wikipedia I go to find out in the meantime..

2007 - The company announced the closing and liquidation of 126 stores due to the "need to close and sell stores with low performance or non strategic, old store layouts and locations faced with market saturation," according to CEO Roman Ross.[7] The realignment included a $440,000,000 cash infusion, store closures, major expense reductions, and a corporate restructuring.

I guess that would explain it, heh.

2008 - On March 21, CompUSA announces that 12 CompUSA stores are open to the public.

LOL. Wow, now only 12 stores? Crazy.

The closing locations were chosen based upon their overall performance, profitability, and proximity to more successful competitors such as Best Buy, Fry's and Circuit City. This first round of closings reduced the number of stores to less than half of its previous number.

Ahh, there we go. BB, CC an Fry's. That'll do it every time.

At the last moment the parent company of Tigerdirect bought the compusa name and branding rights. So now if you call compusa looking for a store they give you the address to the nearest tigerdirect retail location and don't bother telling you its actually a TD location. I kinda dislike it though as the general manager of the TD where i live is a moron who never keeps anything worth buying in stock. Last time I went they had half the store filled with LCD tvs and other garbage yet the comp parts isles looked mostly empty. At least the comp usa w had here kept a good stock of everything even if the prices weren't always ideal.

Back