• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Core i7 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmIgoneYet

It's been 4 years since my last build, I'm a bit out of touch with the new technology. I’m just wondering if anyone foresees any problems or has any suggestion for this parts list.

Core i7 920
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
Asus Rampage II Extreme
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Case
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower W0172RU 850W
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS

:welcome:to OCF, I'm looking forward to see how that RE 2 does and how it compares to my X58 boards.

Have you build it yet or are you just shopping for now? :)

why a 3x2? why not just get a 2x2 kit? if you just gaming the extra ram bandwidth will not help. not to mention you will need slighly higher core/uncore voltage if you plan to oc the setup.

You read my mind ;)

I'm settling for a 2 x 2 due to your theory :beer:

why a 3x2? why not just get a 2x2 kit? if you just gaming the extra ram bandwidth will not help. not to mention you will need slighly higher core/uncore voltage if you plan to oc the setup.

my only other though is maybe consider the gigabyte X58-extreme.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=583975
The reason for the 3x2 is beyond gaming, I’m an avid photographer too. Photoshop needs all the RAM you can get plus more. Now with CS4 being 64bit I can use more then 3GB.

then buy a 4x2 kit and still run dual channel or prolly cheaper buy 2 2x2kits... then you have 8gb instead of 6gb. still even in photoshop tri channel wont make a difference, it needs ram space not ram bandwidth.

*edit*
was thinking of ddr2 for some reason that has 4x2 kits...

Why does everyone want to run dual channel kits on tri channel boards? Most of the dual channel DDR3 kits have a higher volt ratings than X58 mb spec. I have a 3x2gb kit running ddr3 1600 at 1.5v which is under the 1.65 volts recommended not to exceed by Intel. I dont have to increase the core/uncore voltage when switching between 2 or 3 sticks. I know several people are running thier ram at 1.7+ but I am not ready to risk my new proc...yet:). I say get the 3x2gb kit, just my 2cents .

if you rally wont a lot of ram

3X4GB ddr3 1600

Last edited:
Why does everyone want to run dual channel kits on tri channel boards? Most of the dual channel DDR3 kits have a higher volt ratings than X58 mb spec. I have a 3x2gb kit running ddr3 1600 at 1.5v which is under the 1.65 volts recommended not to exceed by Intel. I dont have to increase the core/uncore voltage when switching between 2 or 3 sticks. I know several people are running thier ram at 1.7+ but I am not ready to risk my new proc...yet:). I say get the 3x2gb kit, just my 2cents .

if you rally wont a lot of ram

3X4GB ddr3 1600

well from chatting with brolloks in pm he stated he needed less core and uncore voltage. when ocing the cpu, between tri and dual memory modes. i also suggested dual mode since from the tests tri mode takes a hit in latency vs dual. i did point this out in your thread with your ocing results.

the way i see it, is like balancing a cost effective rig. what do you really need vs what you want. if what you want doesnt help in performance then you can pretty much save that for later. then go with what you need and will be the most cost effictive route.

i am backwards though, just cause we can use Tri-channel on i7. doesnt mean we are going to need it for what we do. i think there are very few apps that WE would actually need to use tri-channel for. F@H,Seti,and Rosetta would be a few programs WE run or some us run 24/7 that would really make some good use of the extra bandwidth.

*edit*
also that ddr3 has to loose of timings for my taste for that speed. here is why i say that
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

Last edited:
Back