• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IMO New Egg MURDERS Best Buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
Man.. I know New Egg will never open stores, but still, could you imagine walking into your dream store??

IMO, a New Egg store would absolutely MURDER a BB one.

5 years ago you'd find me at Best Buy all the time especially for PC upgrades like video cards, sound, hard drives.

The last time I was at BB was 2006 to buy a camcorder.

Maybe it's a good thing New Egg doesn't have stores. My mortgage would never get paid!

I know New Egg won't, they save all that overhead, but still.. could you see the video card aisle? The motherboad aisle? CPU.. cooling.. cases...

I'd probably go every weekend even if I didn't have money just to drool over everything.

From what I understand, the store you seek is called Fry's Electronics. Unfortunately I don't have one near me either. Closest cool store is the Microcenter in Boston.

Being a BBY employee who happens to know alot more than the average Joe aboutr the crap I actually sell:

Best Buy is only in indirect competition with the egg. Reason is, 95% of the people I help (this includes in my capacity working with small business 'tech guys') come in because they don't know enough to make a purchase on their own.

The egg doesn't (or at least cannot for now) replace that.

I'll be the first to tell you though, when I need computer parts, unless it's ram/hdd/graphics card, my discount isn't great enough to prevent me from considering it online first.

Plus alot of people like to see the actual size of the TV/monitor they're going to get.

From what I understand, the store you seek is called Fry's Electronics. Unfortunately I don't have one near me either. Closest cool store is the Microcenter in Boston.

Ahh.. hear the name a lot, but yeah, not one near me.

Being a BBY employee who happens to know alot more than the average Joe aboutr the crap I actually sell:

Best Buy is only in indirect competition with the egg. Reason is, 95% of the people I help (this includes in my capacity working with small business 'tech guys') come in because they don't know enough to make a purchase on their own.

The egg doesn't (or at least cannot for now) replace that.

I'll be the first to tell you though, when I need computer parts, unless it's ram/hdd/graphics card, my discount isn't great enough to prevent me from considering it online first.

Plus alot of people like to see the actual size of the TV/monitor they're going to get.

Yeah don't take me wrong - I'm not HATING on BB. And I know New Egg and BB aren't real competitors.

But I'm just saying, from a PC enthusiast perspective, I loved Best Buy, but I know I would LOVE a New Egg store or Fry's, whatever, that much more.

I should have titled this thread a little better, sorry. Don't mean to be misleading and not trolling.

The best bang for buck with BBy employee discount is insignia/dynex products. The batteries were my favorite.

I would love to go into my local Best Buy (and several other local computer "chain" stores) and hang up a huge banner in the cables section that reads "GO TO MONOPRICE.COM". ;)

Some of the markups on Best Buy's merchandise is ridiculous, particularly the Dynex brand stuff. They want like $7 for a 50-pack of those white CD envelopes with the round plastic windows. The same thing at Office Depot is less then $2.29.

Best Buy stinks, I only go there when its a matter of convience.

Cookie stuffer link removed!

Guys, If you see an image link that doesn't show in their post when you quote someone, please notify a Mod or report the post. That is a cookie stuffer and we don't tolerate their kind here

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Same here. :D If I just need a part when I need a part. I am not going to try and save a few dollars waiting near about week.

For example. I needed a toslink cable. They (BB) were one of the few local stores that carried them, or knew what toslink was... I wasn't going to drive four cities over for one cable or wait near about a week or so. I wanted the cable that day. Would you wait a week to use your new surround setup fully? Or pay $30 for a 12 foot cable that day. Instead of 10 or so.
Actually the cable I got. I am please with how supple it is.

IF I can get clearly superior parts.. Premuim deals online, versus BnM. And need it the fastest way I can get it.
I will consider overnighting it or checking local stores. Most of the time, I find it local.

I have gotten really good deals on HD's at BB. The rest of my shopping for electronics is done online. I just like hanging out and not having to do the store shuffle. Heck shopping online you don;t even need pants on. Try shopping at Best Buy with no pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I treat Best Buy as a oh crap I need it right now and can't wait for shipping (Never pre order from them!) I also never ask for help from employees on the floor ever unless it is 100% required.

Same thing with Microcenter but I really dislike the one here I've been to a few times, pretty sad employees Knowledge/Demeanor mostly. Meh that is Retail for you though, it usually sucks big time.

Online for the win with no sales tax :cool:

I've ordered over $20,000 worth of products from Newegg in the last five years, more than I've ever spent at any other online retailer. This should be more than enough assurance that I'm getting what I want for the price I want, but Newegg goes farther than that. Newegg has a convenient self-issued RMA service for when you inevitably need to return a piece of gear - and there's no hassle to speak of.
856fc81623da2150ba2210ba1b51d241.gif

Last edited:
I would love to go into my local Best Buy (and several other local computer "chain" stores) and hang up a huge banner in the cables section that reads "GO TO MONOPRICE.COM". ;)

Amen brother! I was shopping for a printer cable recently, since apparently printers do not come with cables anymore, and BB wanted almost $30 for a 12 ft printer cable, going over to monoprice I picked up a 24 ft braided USB cable for $3 plus shipping.

Back