• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new i7 build, need to pick motherboard!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dim1014

I've pretty much purchased all the parts for my new (and first) build. Now I just need to get a motherboard! I think I've narrowed it down between the Gigabyte x58 Extreme and the Asus Rampage II Extreme (after reading through Brolloks tests and stuff it seems the P6T isn't as good as the Gigabyte X58). I was also thing about the EVGA X58 but it just didn't strike me. This computer will primarily be used for gaming.

My build:
Case: CM690
Video Card: EVGA GTX 280 FTW (might SLI eventually)
Processor: i7 940
Heatsink: Thermalight Ultra-120 Extreme RT 1366 with Arctic Silver 5
Power Supply: BFG ES-800
Memory: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1600, CAS:8
Hard drives: 2x WD6401AALS (Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 32mb cache)
Optical drives: 2x (SH-S223Q) Samsung Dvd burners

Whatdya guys think? If anyone could direct me to some sort of side by side review that'd be great. Comments on the build welcome too!

I love the way that the Asus P6T Deluxe handles ram...no issues. Haven't tried any other X58s but so far the Asus is really really nice....:)

UD5 is a good choice, brolloks ran his for bit and really liked it. seems the asus p6t got its act together with the a new bios.

when i got i7 next year, the UD5 is one i might go with. the only others i consider are the P6T, EVGA x58 board. all though after looking into the P6T6, i hope it isnt to costly, but i bet it is. i mean 6 x16 slots, hmm thats alot of GPU folding power!

consider the EVGA x58

I want to try out the EVGA myself, what i heard and dont like about it is its memory multipliers, 6x and 8x only for 920/940. Hopefully a Bios update will fix it, untill then its a boring board. =)

Back