• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with a i7 940 CPU and Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Halbarad

:confused:I'm trying to overclock my cpu with this motherboard but am kind of lost. With my old 790i motherboard was easy but don't have clue with this one...Can somone help please?

best ask an amd person. amd's will overclock like the new i7's because of the memory controller on the chip rather than the mobo.

or ask google...

:confused:I'm trying to overclock my cpu with this motherboard but am kind of lost. With my old 790i motherboard was easy but don't have clue with this one...Can somone help please?

I've found it amazingly easy to do some Air overclocking....
can you list your whole system specs?

I may be able to get you started if i know what other gear you have going...
when you come back with your specs then I will try to walk you through some BIOS settings that may work for you.....:beer:

best ask an amd person. amd's will overclock like the new i7's because of the memory controller on the chip rather than the mobo.

or ask google...
Uhhh, you mean the new i7 will overclock like AMDs, don't you??? AMD has had this system design for four years or so - Intel has finally jumped on the band wagon. Reminds me of the days when Intel rejected RISC architecture ... :screwy:

Rdrash and Mgoode

Thanks Mgoode for the article. Rdrash...My system is as follows:
i7 940 cpu
P6T deluxe Asus Motherboard
6 gig of Corsair 1333 ddr3 ram
1 150 gig 10,000 rpm harddrive
1 500 gig 7,200 rpm harddrive
2 geforce 280gtx video cards in sli overclocked to 700meg on the core and 1225 on the memory.
1200 wat tough power power supply
Zalman liquid cooling with the Reserater 2. I only have liquid cooling on the video cards right now but have a very powerful fan system on the processor.

If you need anymore info just let me know...hope you can help me

sending you a pm with some settings for you to try....and a few more questions :thup:

also :welcome: to the forums!!
:clap:

Last edited:
I just overclocked my P6T Deluxe with i7 920 to 3.8Ghz, and I bet you can do well over 4.0Ghz with your setup. I followed the step by step instructions at the following site and used their suggested voltages as starting point (info is specific for an Asus P6T Deluxe overclock):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1

Interestingly, my computer wouldn't boot at 175 BCLK freq, and I thought for a while that I had a bum chip. Then I went for glory and tried 200 BCLK and up comes windows! Prime95 wasn't good yet at 4.0Ghz so I dropped it down to 190 BLCK and all is happy. I only run Prime95 for 30 seconds because I'm on stock cooling and this cpu is a toaster oven. You'll need that powerful fan system to cool the CPU when it's cranking. The adapter for my TRUE120 won't be in until late in the week ;(

The one change I made from the bit-tech article is I set my DRAM frequency and volts manually to ensure that it stays within my parameters (my OCZ sticks were meant for much higher voltages than 1.65 and at the lower voltage they're good only for about 1300 DDR3 speed).

PS: I tried overclocking from within Windows in the TurboV software, but I couldn't get past 151 BCLK. I did my successful overclock to 190 BCLK in the BIOS itself. When time permits I'll fool with the TurboV software because I'm hoping that it will give me the flexibility to switch CPU speeds like I had on my trusty old Abit boards using UGURU.
Good luck!

Last edited:
maybe you can hlep me i have tryed everything still not got it to work

Sawassdee krup!! Pom Rak Thai :beer:

Try leaving all voltages on auto and only adjusting the bclk a few ticks... plus please list your system specifications so I can try and give you more specific advice for your ram etc...

Vista Ultimate 64 bit

MD Asus P6T Deluxe

Memory Geil DDR 3 Value Dual Channel Kit PC3 10660 1333MHz 2GB X4

CPU Intel Core i7 920

VGA MSI n 280GTX

CPU Fan CoolerMaster V8

Power Pack Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Managemeant 1200

HD Seagate Sata 1TD

Baa Mak Mak lol Sum Num Na

Back