• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I bite on this deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sleeper213

Registered
So I've been looking to upgrade and I found this offer from EVGA: http://www.evga.com/articles/00440/ and have been thinking about this bundle to use for that promotion: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4312760&CatId=2021

Now my plan is to upgrade my video card and use it on this computer now and then build a completely new system in about three months and stick the GTX 260 and 780i mobo in there. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Or would it be smarter to wait until then to see if the prices drop? Would I even see a huge difference in gaming if I switch out my current video cards for a GTX 260 216 Core now? For the record, I'll be playing in 1920 x 1080 native res.

you can get the same stuff for a better price if you keep your eyes open.

Hank, tho this is true, it's irrelevant and doesn't answer the OP's question ;)

OP:
No, you won't see any change because your current system will bottleneck the card. The higher the resolution, the more the card will be bottlenecked. You can prolly work it to run 1680X1050, but anything over that the system will choke the card. I may be wrong in this, but I seen it on my older systems with newer video cards. Once you build the new system, your card will definately open up ;)

3 or 4 months is a life time in the PC world. I would suggest don't buy till you're ready to use it. Most motherboards have a 1 year warranty. Why would you want to let 1/3 of that time pass letting it sit in a closet?? And most assuredly prices will drop a little between now and then. Makes sense to me to hold on to the cash for 3 or 4 months and perhaps find a much better deal. The deal itself isn't too bad but I tend to agree with Hank that if you look around you can get a better deal. Again in 3 months I doubt it will be such a good deal after all. Just my 2 cents.

Z

PS: I also agree with Nebulous that until you get the new system I don't think you will see a whole lot of change with the new video card in the old system. DX10 might be about it.

Last edited:
Back