• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long can i use my LGA 775 b4 it gets outdated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
My specs are in my sig

If i continue to upgrade my video cards, and get the extreme processors when they get cheap how long can i keep this PC before it becomes outdated

I use my systems for Gaming
Scince games dont even need quadcores yet, how long do ya think my system has left in it?

Im building a new rig and i dont want it to be outdated too soon:cry:

tell me what you think please:D

Well I think the new i7 cores use a new socket, so chances are you at least have 4 years before you are really behind. Depends what you are mainly using your computer for though. Gaming? You want to stay pretty current, but everything else you will be fine for at least a few more years.

Heck my skt 754 a64 is still doing a pretty good job. I don't play the latest and greatest games out, but the games I still play that are a few years old it handles them well :)

:D It was outdated when a newer model came out. How far you let it fall behind is up to you. 775 has been Intel's workhorse socket for a long time. So finding parts if stuff breaks is a long ways off.
My old trusty s754 is rather outdated. Since I cannot find good parts for it anymore. My old trusty 833 Pentium III is very outdated. It has nothing interesting for it anymore. That is the test how much life a computer setup has life left in it.

You'll be fine for 3-5 years. The only thing you'll have to fight is the urge to upgrade. Maybe an upgrade to a cheap 45nm quad will be in order if your MB supports it. So no worries, just sit back and watch the whole scene evolve. Just imagine what will be on the market in 3-5 years.

FWIW, my main rig has followed this path over the past 8 years: I ran a P3 700Mhz @ 933Mhz from '00 to late '03, then upgraded to an XP Barton 2500+ @ 2.5Ghz. That lasted to late '06 where I got a C2D E6400 @ 3.4Ghz. Using the same MB, I dropped in an E8400 @4GHZ. This will hold me over till a later gen Nehalem or whatever.

Il keep on gettin new vid cards, and il probly get a QX9650 in a couple of yrs when theyre cheap. I may get more ram if i need it but i doubt i will.

So how long u think my PC has left in it now???
btw, il OC my Q6600 at 3.2 maybe 3.6Ghz

you cant really give a definite time when something will be outdated, its more about personal opinion and what your using it for.

If your wanting to play the latest and greatest games then ur system is probably already out of date :D. if your editing word documents its gunna last you another 10+ years.

also we have no idea whats to come, it could be amazing, it could be mediocre.

If you upgrade to a nice 45nm quad and new graphics cards ull be fine for a while.

You ask this:

So how long u think my PC has left in it now???

Then you get this reply:

you cant really give a definite time when something will be outdated, its more about personal opinion and what your using it for.

If your wanting to play the latest and greatest games then ur system is probably already out of date :D. if your editing word documents its gunna last you another 10+ years.

also we have no idea whats to come, it could be amazing, it could be mediocre.

If you upgrade to a nice 45nm quad and new graphics cards ull be fine for a while.

Tne you reply with this:?

It aint out of date,:confused: it can run cryisis on Very high settings at 42 FPS average

You just answered your own question and Sam__ gave you a valid answer

:rolleyes:

I know its not outdated yet!!!:bang head

I actually wanted to know how long i can make it last

Gosh

Ok here's the answer you're looking for: You can make it last as long as you want providing it can handle games and apps you use. Once the machine cannot handle the new stuff ( games and apps you use) then it's time for a new system.

Good enough answer for you?

No one here can give you a difinitive answer for your particular system. Only you can figure that out with the games and apps you use.

No one here can give you a difinitive answer for your particular system. Only you can figure that out with the games and apps you use.
So True. And, using this criteria I feel that the system in my sig is outdated. How sad is that? :(

I know its not outdated yet!!!:bang head
Sorry, but it's outdated. The current generation is the i7, in an LGA 1366 socket.

It's also model year 09. That doesn't mean you can't go to the carlot and buy a new 08.

Outdated does not mean useless. I have an LGA775 system, and the fact that something newer is out doesn't mean I'm going to stop using/clocking/upgrading it.

Back