• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

experts... Please help me choose a mobo "p5q3 deluxe" or Striker II ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j_h3000

Registered
hi there

I'm going to upgrade my pc

i have Intel E6750 CPU, I'll keep it meanwhile
and 2x 2048MB DDR2 800, I'll sell this one
and an ASUS 8600GTS VGA, I'll sell it too

and I'm going to buy:
VGA: XFX 9800 GX2
PSU: Ultra 750 watts
RAM: Corsair Dual Channel 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) Memory CAS Latency: 9-9-9-24

But the big question is what mobo should I buy?
should i go for Asus P5Q3 Deluxe ? or Asus Striker II ? and why ?

despite the SLI issue, I mean performance wise "over clocking, compatibility..."

please help me choose the right mobo and thanks in advance

Go for the p5q3 for sure, nvidia chipsets are no where near as good at overclocking and as stable as intels chipsets are and the stryker 2 has been having problems at high fsb.

I would highly recommend staying away from asus boards at least the hi end ones like the striker. I like to tweak and overclock as much as the next guy but these hi end asus board are finicky and crap. They just dont play nice they are very hard to deal with unless you know what your doing. I own a striker 1 and an asus maxmius extreme. Ya i can get good overclocks on them when they work right, sometimes i just want to use my computer with no cpu init errors.

IF you want the best overclock you can get on your platform get an asus otherwise just go with dfi msi or gigabyte.

thanks for your help i guess i'll forget about the striker II

but i have one more question please

I'm thinking that a p5q green for 130$
and 2x 2048 DDR2 1066 for 110$
that's 260$

is cheaper than buying a p5q3 deluxe for 240$
and the DDR3 1600 for 170$
that's 410$

so is it worth to pay 150$ to get the p5q3 + DDR3? or it wont give me a huge difference in performance ?

the ASUS P5Q-Deluxe board has all the options you will ever need - and the striker II is a very good board too.

I personally would recommend the P5Q-Deluxe. I have one, and can whole-heartedly say that it can go very high on the FSB and has more options than you know what to do with.

Back