• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with mobo selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Well, I'm planning on making a new rig in about a month or so.

Just about all of it is decided. The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the mobo.

The current ones I am looking at are a P5Q (Some SE variant), a EP45-DS3L, or a EP45-UD3R.

From the looks of it, the UD3R has the best OC ability, but its also a little more expensive, and I dont know if I need it for what I am doing. Also, the P5Q SE looks like it has a bit of a funky layout compared to the pro or the gigabyte boards.

I'm planning on doing some mild-ish OCing, basically as much as I can get out of a Q6600 on air (AC7) and some cheap-ish DDR2-1066.

Oh, I'll go ahead and post the rest of the planned build in case there is some huge flaw somewhere that I missed.

Earthwatts 500w PSU
4670 GFX
Q6600 CPU
AC7 HS/F
(What ever DDR2-1066 is on sale when I buy it, lol) RAM
WD 640gb HDD (currently in my P4.)

ーココ

All of those boards are good choices. The UD3R would be my pick. I love gigabyte boards and BIOS. The P5Q is no slouch either. I like the pro.

stay away from x38 unless you wanna buy crazy priced ddr3 and intend to crossfire. Im really wishing i had a p45 right now so i could afford 8 gig of ram and i dont need all these pci-e slots since my one nvidia card runs almost as fast as two 4870x2's. x38/48 is a waste.

Yeah, x38 is over the price range.

So with that its settled on the UD3R. Thanks to all who replied.

One question though, boorishid said his nvidia ran almost as fast as 2 4870x2s, what the heck are you running in there? Phase change on a GTX 280?

i just hav an 8800 gts g92 oc'ed on air wich runs faster than a 9800 gtx. When i look at reviews alot of the games dont respond well to the 4870 is cf. Tweaktowns review shows these cards barely beating a 9800gtx in high res and losing to it at a 1280. Just doesnt seem worth the hassle of two video cards. I personally have 3870x3 wich dont use becuase it is positvly slower than my gts with more power consumption and hassle. ATI really shines in some games but there all the games that single gpu dont choke on to begin with like ut3.

Dont get me wrong ati has clearly put out good cards in the past but they just arent competing very well right now. Acually nvidia hasnt put out anything worthwhile since the 9800gtx2. The core 200's are good there just not a very jutifible upgrade.

stay away from x38 unless you wanna buy crazy priced ddr3 and intend to crossfire.
There are just as many boards that run x38/x48 and DDR2 as ones that run DDR3. GA-X38/48-DQ6, P5E, P5E Deluxe etc. You just don't need the dual x16 lanes unless you are running 4870s or 4870X2's in crossfire and want every last ounce of performance for things like benching. P45 + 2 4850's is a great high performance match and you won't have to worry about maxing out PCIe lanes. At the prices you can pick these boards up nowadays, x38/x48 are a good value and are a very good alternative incase you can't find a quality P45. P45's do tend run higher on the FSB when overclocking quads though, so that would likely be a consideration for you.

Im really wishing i had a p45 right now so i could afford 8 gig of ram and i dont need all these pci-e slots since my one nvidia card runs almost as fast as two 4870x2's. x38/48 is a waste.
Yeeesh! Seems like you've already explained yourself so I won't go there, but you should watch the way you word things or people tend to jump all over you.

Back